- THIRTY

omg gang 30 chapters WHAT thank you sm for all the love

"she won't accept it as anything more than platonic because she believes she's in control of her own destiny"

WHEN Niklaus Mikaelson was seven years old, he first painted the moon.

Acrylics and paint didn't properly exist at the time, but he'd blend flowers into colors and paint them on stones. He loved to paint.

Niklaus loved bright colors and imagery that made his heart feel warm. He loved the sunshine over the lake and his mother's face when she laughed.

Niklaus would often pick flowers for his sister and mother, and he would retell the stories of the gods to his brothers.

Elijah always liked to sword fight, but it never called to Niklaus. (He did it anyway, and the boys would end up in laughter until their father came along.)

Niklaus preferred to use his words over fists, though he often ended in tears. His brother called him weak, useless, a mistake.

The nights where his father projected anger onto Niklaus, the young boy would cry to the moon and beg the gods to give him peace. He'd beg for someone to show him kindness, but his prayers were left unanswered.

The first time Niklaus painted the moon, he sat all night to ensure it was right. It meant more to him than the sun. The sun was blinding, it inhibited one's eyesight and forced positivity.

The moon was kind, soft, ethereal. It danced across the sky and mingled with stars. He painted grey and yellow and soft blues in hopes of mimicking the comforting light it brought him.

Rebekah used to say the moon was made of cheese.

Niklaus would roll his eyes at her words.

It was Mani, of course. The god of the moon, as Sol was the goddess of the sun.

When the cosmos were created, the siblings didn't understand their purpose or powers. And when the gods grouped together, they assigned the siblings days and time and phases.

Mani had great power. He controlled the tides and the stars and the pull of night.

Sol controlled the weather and the warmth and the pull of light.

They were controlled by chariots, moving in circles until Ragnarok brought chaos.

Rebekah always belittled him and claimed he was a dreamer.