-TWO

"and he trusted Lexi, so he trusts you

"and he trusted Lexi, so he trusts you."

THE house was empty when Eden managed to walk her way back home. Her heart raced the entire way and she kept glancing around, feeling like she'd lose it on the first person that came across her.

She was entirely too on edge, but that was her fault.

She'd let her guard down. She thought it would be safe here. But there was a vampire, a dangerous one at that. What if he tracked her down? Snuck into the window at night and tried to kill her?

She knew vampires needed permission to be invited into a home, but she couldn't recall which type required permission. The creepy ones from the Wizarding World or the seemingly-normal, far more scary one that was shacking up in the same town as her?

She wanted to text Hermione and ask, but Hermione wasn't like Harry. She'd ask questions, she'd want to see why Eden was suddenly curious about the difference between two highly powerful and incredibly dangerous creatures.

She spotted Jenna's text halfway on the walk back, a quick message with the location of the spare key. Eden had to stop to ask for directions to the street the house resided on multiple times and when she arrived, there was no one else there.

Quickly shutting and locking the door behind her, Eden dashed up to Jenna's room and went straight for her nightstand.

She'd sent the letter to MACUSA that morning, asking permission to wield her wand, but had yet to hear a response. It was funny, how little they were affected by the war she'd grown up in. If she'd asked the Ministry for a favor, they'd bend over backwards. She was the tortured muggleborn best friend of Harry Potter, second only to Hermione Granger in terms of "priority."

But here, she was no one. And normally, she liked that. She liked walking home from the Grill without having to worry about the Daily Prophet snapping photographs of her drinking the day away.

But that normalcy was incredibly inconvenient right now.

Eden looked down at her wand, heart sinking into her stomach. She'd prepped herself the entire walk home. She could do it. She would do it. She had to protect herself. Her fingers twitched to grab it, to have that familiar pulsing in her veins, the hum of her magic securely tied into the wand.

She was frozen to the spot, staring at the wand next to her broken holster.

Yew wood, dragon heartstring core, thirteen inches.

It was the same wand she'd always had. It performed her first spell and guided her through the war. It healed her loved ones and took lives.

It was a piece of her.