-TWENTY-THREE

"the curse of the sun and moon

"the curse of the sun and moon...is fake."

Eden opened the door of her flat with a small frown, seeing her niece standing with an expectant look on her face.

"Elena," Eden stated, leaning against the doorway. "If you touch him, or if you have some plan or something...he'll kill your friends. And so will my friends. Understand?"

Something flickered in Elena's face, but she nodded, following Eden into the apartment.

"This is nice," Elena complimented. "I haven't actually been in here before. Jeremy talks about it, but..."

"You never come," Eden shrugged, walking to the kitchen and grabbing a cup of water, placing it on the counter for her niece. "You're always invited."

"Sorry," Elena mumbled, glancing around. "Is he here?"

"In the bedroom," Eden nodded, leaning against the counter. "Harry and Gin are in England, they've got a Mediwitch appointment for the baby. Good thing, Gin's got a rubbish temper and I think she'd hex you, despite my pleads."

Elena smiled nervously and there was a rush of wind and then Elijah was standing next to Eden. He pressed a gentle kiss to her head, then looked to Elena.

"You may ask any questions, many of which I am sure you have," his face was impassive, eyes darting around her face. "I can't guarantee that I'll answer them."

Elena nodded and Eden nodded to the table. "Sit, I'm sure this'll be a long conversation."

The trio sat at the dining table, Elena fidgeting in her seat across from the pair. Elijah placed a hand gently on the back of Eden's chair, his fingers barely touching her clothed shoulder. He leaned back and Eden did too, the stark contrast of comfortability between them and Elena was stifling.

"Where did you get the dagger?" Elijah asked first.

It was a question they'd both speculated the answer too, and Eden's only logical guess was John. Considering they'd never informed Eden of the plan, she had nothing to confirm.

"I'll tell you everything," Elena looked between the two. "But we have to work together, Elijah."

Eden rolled her eyes and Elijah's hand stopped it's movements on Eden's shoulder, fingers pressing slightly into her skin.

"I will not harm you and I want only the best for Eden," his eyes narrowed a fraction. "I do so tire of repeating myself."

"It's because you're so old," Eden countered with a small smirk, lightening the mood a bit. "Total boomer behavior."