- FIFTEEN

"because if that's what you actually said, human or not, I will tear you apart

"because if that's what you actually said, human or not, I will tear you apart."

"PLEASE come with me," Elena begged her aunt over the phone. "I don't want Stefan or Damon to know but I don't really trust Rose either."

Eden exchanged a look with Elijah, who sat next to her on the sofa. They were watching a rerun of one of her favorite shows — one he'd never seen, much to her disbelief — when Elena called.

"What's in it for me, niece?" Eden asked, taking another bite of her cookie.

Elena was quiet for a moment. "What do you want?"

"I don't know," Eden chewed thoughtfully, leaning her head on Elijah's shoulder. He reached his hand to her hair and gently ran his hand through it. "You owe me something."

"Fine," Elena sighed. "Sure, whatever. We'll pick you up in ten."

"It's cool," Eden shrugged. "I'll be at the Salvatore's in twenty, I need to pick up the clothes I left there anyway."

"How're you liking your new place?" Elena asked curiously.

Eden smiled at Elijah and his eyebrow twitched up.

"I like it a lot," she said with a small smile, meeting his eyes. "It's new, but good. Makes me happy."

"I'm glad to hear it." Elena replied. "Okay, see you in a few."

The phone call ended and Elijah ran his hand gently down her cheek. "I'm not fond of you returning to Richmond with Dolohov still on the loose. And unprotected with a vampire who has already attempted to give you to him."

Eden nodded. "Yeah," she sighed. "It's not exactly ideal, but Elena's family. I'm not letting her go alone."

"Alright," Elijah pressed a kiss to her forehead. "I'm only a call away, Elskan."

"I know," Eden smiled softly, standing and grabbing her car keys. "Think this is an inappropriate outfit to wear?"

He looked over her sweats and t-shirt, eyes settled on her cat slippers. "You look beautiful."

Eden snorted. "You're too nice, I hate it." She rolled her eyes at his chuckle and disappeared into the bedroom. When she returned fully dressed a few minutes later, she found him standing.

"You're leaving too?"

He nodded, grabbing his suit jacket from the coat rack at the door. (A purchase he insisted upon. "I will not be frequenting your residence, Eden, if my suits will always be wrinkled. Have some respect, darling.")

"I have matters to attend to."

Eden nodded in understanding and walked up to him, slowly grabbing his hand.