A Way Out

Annabeth squeezed her eyes shut as the whip crashed down the first time. Then they shot open again when there was no scream.

"Is he not in pain?" She whispered to Leo.

"He's mute." Leo hissed back, tears leaking from his eyes.

The lashes fell quickly. Jason knew what he was doing.

After about 20, the boy slumped, unconscious.

"He's been on this ship since age six. All I can figure out about him is that he hates seeing other people hurt." Leo was taking the opportunity to fill her in.

"Shut up, Valdez." Light had turned up to watch. Leo looked down and stopped talking.

"Hey, Cap'n, there's a small boat headed in!" Will called from the crow's nest.

"Whoever gets it gets to give Silence boy here another 20 lashes." Light called without looking away.

Several people bustled to a lifeboat and dropped it into the sea. Jason went on swinging the leather cord.

"Gods, that's awful." Annabeth murmured.

"Do you know who these people are? What they are?" Leo asked, nearly silently.

"Pirates."

"Yeah, but they're something else too."

She looked at him, frowning in confusion.

"They're demigods. The only reason you're on this ship is because you are too." He smiled sadly at her. "I'd say daughter of Athena. I'm undetermined, as is he." He gestured to the unconscious kid who was now on his 113th lash.

"Cap'n, they're daughters of Ares, I think!" A girl with black hair dragged two girls onto the ship's deck. Sure enough, they were fighting like their lives depended on it.

"Drew Tanaka, daughter of Aphrodite. She's a real b-" He stopped himself as the girl dragged the two new prisoners over to be chained up.

"Jason, finish up so Drew can take her turn." Light seemed to be enjoying herself.

"Just wait, I'm going to get us out of here." Leo muttered under his breath. Drew swiftly knocked out the two new girls, then sauntered over to where Jason was. He was just finishing up, leaving the boy's back a torn up mess.

She took the whip and began her count of 20.

"She may think she's a princess, but that girl know's how to work a weapon." Leo said.

"Chain him back up and let's get on with the routine." Light called, heading back towards the wheel.

"Zhang, take him." Jason ordered, pivoting to follow the captain. A large boy with a bow slung over his shoulder untied the black haired boy and dragged him over to the prisoners. He clamped the restraints on and gave them a slightly apologetic look before turning away.

Annabeth inspected the new prisoners. They were sisters, obviously. Both had a rather similar complexion to Leo's. Their hair was wavy, but both girls had it pulled into a single plait that would run down their back had they been conscious.

Leo began to check on the silent boy.

"He's alive. Barely."

-------------

Piper knew she had made the right choice. She wasn't afraid of the work, and Jason had put her in the galley to make food. She turned out to be a natural.

"What's for dinner, beautiful?" Jason swaggered into the room like he owned the place.

In truth, he kind of did.

"Fish that some of the boys caught, sir."

"You know, I like it when ye call me that."

"Of course you do, sir." Her voice was laced with sarcasm and disdain.

"Come on, gorgeous, don't be like that." She could feel his eyes travelling over her body and was glad that she didn't have to wear a dress here.

Black pants that reached her knees and swayed loosely complimented the dark red blouse she wore. There were no sleeves, and she had her hair pulled back, a black bandana wrapped around her forehead. She was barefoot, as usual.

"Please leave."

"Why should I?"

"JASON WHERE ARE YOU?!" The captain's voice bellowed from the deck. Jason growled under his breath and stomped down the narrow corridor. Piper breathed a sigh of relief.

That boy just would not quit.

[A/N two chapters! I enjoy writing this. And then there's the fact that my brain will probably implode if I don't release some tension. And my parents always wonder why I write so much! This is why. Enjoy!]