That's A New One

Piper watched the prisoners from the end of the hallway. Light had told her to take a break from the galley for a little bit.

"McLean, what are ye doing out here?" Jason's voice boomed behind her.

"You know, I am allowed to leave the galley, Sir." She snarked, turning to face the blond pirate. He scowled at her.

"Well, now you're goin' back to it. The boys need grub."

"With all due respect, Sir, Light told me to take a break. She has someone else making the slop." Again, sarcasm laced her voice.

Jason grabbed Piper's arm as she tried to push past him. "Listen here, you little wench, I'm First Mate. I outrank you. So you'd be wise to actually respect me and do what I say. Also," His scowl turned to a dangerous smirk. "You'd do well to get in my good books, if you know what I mean."

Piper pulled her arm away, making a face. "When you earn my respect, you shall receive it, you *pox-ridden, bilge-sucking blaggard! And I'll tell you again, I will not allow some egotistical man who think's he's a corsair take advantage of me!" [A/N *basically a diseased, disgusting scoundrel]

Jason's eyes flared with anger and the air crackled with electricity. "Why you little-" An explosion cut him off.

"What in Hades name-"

"STOP HIM!" Light's voice roared over the exclamations of varying surprise and the violent curses being thrown around.

Piper looked over to the slaves and realized the two boys were missing.

Something was happening topside.

Ignoring the First Mate, Piper scrambled up onto the deck. The two boys were dashing through the crew, moving with surprising speed and agility.

Leo reached the edge of the ship first, then turned and saluted obnoxiously. Katie Gardner, the girl from the marketplace, threw her hands out towards him. Vines scrabbled their way out of the ship's deck, towards the scrawny boy.

"Glad to see you love me so much, but I gotta go, darlin'!" Fire erupted from his fingertips, withering the daughter of Demeter's reaching tendrils.

Then the still flaming boy leapt from the ship, whooping in excitement.

"JASON! STOP THE MUTE!" Light's voice roared again, this time from a considerably closer distance.

Jason stepped forward and the crew watched as he also flung a hand out. A wild gust of wind shaped like a horse and crackling with lightning raced forward.

Suddenly, it was intercepted by a wave of water.

Every movement stopped. Even the boy froze and turned.

Light's boots thudded on the deck as she made her way to the center of the ship.

"WHICH ONE OF YOU IS THE SEA SCUM?" Her voice echoed in the silence. The crewmates looked at each other.

"That'd be me, actually." An unfamiliar, slightly scratchy voice responded calmly.

Light turned slowly, her posture showing she didn't believe what she had just heard.

"Who said that?" She knew it had come from behind her, but the only person there was the silent prisoner.

Jaws dropped in shock when he flashed a lopsided grin and opened his mouth.

"Did I not make myself clear?"

Jets of water erupted behind him.

"You know, Captain, you should really check people's back-stories better. I passed myself off as mute for what, 13 years?"

Light was seething.

"How did you get through so many lashes without making a sound?" Piper asked before she could help herself.

"High pain tolerance. Also, Captain, you should watch what you're saying and when you're saying it. Well kept secrets tend to get out, especially when talking next to an open window with a son of Poseidon on board."

Lightning flashed dangerously.

"Hit a nerve, have I? Good thing I'll be going now, isn't it, Thalia?"

He leapt off the ship as the captain whipped her dagger at his head.

"I want all hands available working to get them out of the water. Jason, Stolls, Drew, Miranda, Will, each of you pick another demigod and find those bastards. And if anyone-" Her eyes dared the crew to contradict her. "If ANYONE repeats that name, they'll be hung on the spot, understand?"

She got vigorous nods in response. "Piper, make sure the food in the galley is ready for eatin' when the searchers come back."

"Yes, Captain."

[A/N AAAAAYE CHAPTER! So I'm getting really annoyed because I haven't had a chance to get on here and I feel like I am letting you down. Every time I get my computer out, my parents tell me to put it away and do something 'productive' and I'm getting really annoyed, because THIS IS PRODUCTIVE! Just not to them. Bear with me, hopefully I can get more done soon.]