Gods Help Us Please

"You didn't have to do that."

Nico looked up when Reyna sat down next to him.

"If what you did to ensure their passage is not something that should just be one person's responsibility." He shrugged.

"How will it affect my payment?"

Nico shrugged. "Not a clue."

Reyna sighed and leaned back. "I suppose we'll find out."

"You know... I did think of a way you might be able to cheat that. If you'll allow me." Nico held a hand out.

She looked at him, then slowly pulled the compass out. Out of habit, she popped it open before handing it to him. The needle pointed north.

Nico opened the back of the compass carefully, pulling a length of twine from his pocket. "I assume the needle was the indicator?"

Reyna nodded. "Once everything goes south, the end will come." She quoted.

Nico nodded and slipped the twine through the inner workings of the compass, threading it out through a small hole next to the needle. As Reyna watched, he looped it over the needle, then wove it back through the compass.

Three more times he did that, until the needle was firmly bound in place.

"Sometimes the Fates are not as all-knowing as they think they are." He handed it back to Reyna. She pushed the needle experimentally and smiled when it didn't budge.

"Do you think it will work?"

Nico shrugged. "I think so. The compass is probably enchanted, so the needle will move automatically as they come near. If the needle can't move, they can't fulfill their end, and you can get off free. That, along with all of us joining in on the sacrifice, should keep you from becoming their prize for many, many years."

"Thank you." Reyna said quietly, looking at the boy. It occurred to her suddenly that he was still incredibly young. "How long have you been dealing with the Fates?"

Nico smiled wryly. "I lost my mother when I was eleven."

"I'm sorry."

He shrugged. "I've had my time to grieve. Running the ship helped a lot too."

Reyna nodded, looking over at the big black ship tethered to the Doriana. She could see Sherman and Mitchell sitting on the deck, talking to one of Nico's ghosts. Idly, she wondered if they knew him, or if they had just struck up conversation for the sake of it.

"Reyna! Nico! I'd like to talk to you two!"

Reyna looked up at Percy, then got to her feet. Nico got up as well, and they made their way over to the captain.

"War council." He said simply in response to Reyna's questioning look. She nodded slowly and pocketed her compass.

"Does he know?" Nico asked quietly as Percy turned away.

Reyna shook her head. "I didn't tell him. Maybe I will one day, but right now, it's not important."

They made their way down into Percy's quarters, only to find that the room was already in chaos. Thalia was screaming at... honestly, Reyna wasn't sure who she was screaming at. She just kind of seemed to be yelling into the middle of the room. Piper was also arguing vehemently with several of Nico's crew, and several people, Clarisse in particular, looked like they were about to pull a weapon. 

Percy strode calmly to the center of the room and stuck two fingers in his mouth.

"Cover your ears," Reyna warned Nico quickly, stuffing her fingers into her own.

The usual whistle he used blasted a dozen times louder in the tiny room. Reyna and Nico barely spared themselves with their protection. Several people cried out in pain.

"What's the problem here?" Percy asked when the room finally turned to him.

Instantly they erupted again and Percy rolled his eyes, shooting Reyna a glance.

She walked over to join him. "THAT'S ENOUGH!"

The shout rang almost as loud as the whistle had.

"One person, please." Percy scanned the crowd and pointed to Hazel. "What's happening?"

"The child of Zeus-"

Thalia bristled, lightning sparking from her fingertips. Percy shot her a warning glare.

"-is suggesting we try to bait Torrington out here to fight us." Hazel continued. "Which is idiotic, considering what he has managed to do to us on the seas before-"

"What's he going to do otherwise?" Thalia retorted angrily. "His magic is not dependent on the sea, at least here we'd have the advantage of knowing the turf we're on! He-"

"Killed your entire crew on your own turf, Grace!"

Percy rubbed his face as the room descended into absolute chaos again. "Gods help me."