The Captain Returns

[A/N First chapter of Shadow of a Shade is up]

It was a very dark night.

The stars sparkled coldly over the docks, and bored guards patrolled under the light of flickering lanterns. They didn't know what was going on tonight, the chaos and bloodshed that was barely contained and kept away from the general public.

The crew of the Doriana waited in tense silence for Percy to return. Even after Reyna had returned with Nico's crew and the son of Hades had sailed away with a promise to return by morning, no one spoke onboard the son of Poseidon's ship.

Reyna's head shot up as an owl's hoot echoed off to the right of the ship. All sounds of movement among Percy's crew stopped.

Messy black hair appeared over the banister.

Leo leapt to his feet, running over to the edge of the deck to help Percy up. The others looked on expectantly.

The son of Poseidon looked tired as he let his friend haul him onto the ship. Reyna ran over, getting his arm over her shoulders and helping him stay on his feet.

Lou Ellen, who had stayed with the Doriana to see the fate of her brother, peered around Percy expectantly, squinting. 

Percy saw her looking and shook his head. He looked like he'd aged years since leaving the ship.

She looked at her hands, sighing. "No luck?"

"He refused... I'm sorry."

Lou shook her head, sighing. "I really didn't expect it. He was too far down that path already."

"I left him somewhere that will give him a proper burial, if that eases your spirit in any way." Percy smiled a little.

She shrugged, but he could tell that she was upset about it.

"You're exhausted, and I think you're running a fever, lets get you to your quarters." Reyna suggested. Will darted over to get under Percy's other arm, touching his forehead quickly.

"Yer right on with the fever bit."

Percy grunted and allowed the two demigods to half lead, half carry him down into the ship and into his room.

He was always against killing demigods unless completely necessary. That was often how he made friends, or at least acquaintances, by sparing their lives in a situation where someone would completely expect to be killed.

Reyna got his armor off, then gently helped him onto his bed. Will had disappeared at some point, but he returned with a cold rag that he laid on the son of Poseidon's head.

"Thank you, Will." Reyna said quietly. Will nodded and left the room.

"Being a demigod is a cursed existence." Percy mumbled. Reyna smiled softly and sat on the edge of his bed.

"All it becomes is kill and kill and then kill again."

"I know, Percy..." In all honestly, she wasn't sure if he was delirious or upset about whatever had happened when he confronted Alabaster Torrington.

"I always give them a choice," he continued, opening his eyes a little to look at her. Reyna pushed his hair back. "I always offer them a spot on the crew... they're family, you know?"

"Kind of." She really didn't.

Percy chuckled weakly. "Thank you for at least trying to make me feel better."

Reyna smiled. "You can always read me so well, you cheating bilge rat."

He grunted out the beginning of a laugh, then began to cough. Reyna frowned and helped him sit up a little.

"Are you okay?"

Percy gritted his teeth. "It happens sometimes... I'll be fine...."

Reyna nodded slowly and the son of Poseidon took her hand, squeezing it lightly.

"I just need to sleep. Would you go make sure the crew knows that we'll be moving out once I've spoken to Nico in the morning?"

"Of course." She stood and made her way out of the room. Will was bustling down the hallway again with some sort of small box that Reyna suspected was a medical kit.

"He's going to try to get some sleep." She told him quietly.

Will grunted. "I'll still be checkin' him, if it please ye."

Reyna nodded and stepped aside, letting Will into the room. As the door shut quietly behind him, she walked up the stairs onto the main deck.

Most of the crew were still on the deck, mostly talking to each other quietly in small groups.

Reyna leapt up onto a barrel and stuck two fingers between her lips, letting out a piercing whistle. 

Everyone's heads whipped around to look at her.

"Alright, listen up."