I Have Come to Bargain

"Are you absolutely sure this is going to work?" Nico asked. He stood with Percy and Reyna at the wheel of the Doriana.

"We're going to find out." Percy said calmly.

"Here she comes!" Leo called. He was sitting up in the rigging.

Calypso boarded the ship a few moments later.

"She looks good." Reyna commented.

"I'm sure she's thrilled to have to wear Leo's clothing," Her captain commented.

Reyna shrugged. "She'll survive."

Calypso sidestepped Piper and Mitchell as they backed towards her in the middle of a sparring match. She was wearing a white button down with flowing sleeves under a blue vest. One of Leo's ridiculously wide belts was wrapped around her waist.

The reason she was wearing Leo's things was because the other women on the ship were either much taller than her or much shorter. And the men were generally much wider than she was.

"Calypso." Percy nodded to her as she walked up.

"Are we leaving soon?" She asked, tugging on the hem of the shirt.

"Yes. In fact," he turned to the crew. "Casting off! To your stations!"

"YES CAPTAIN!" The group responded with one voice and Percy grinned.

"I missed this."

"Don't let it go too far to your head." Reyna teased. He winked at her and returned his attention to the crew.

"Piper, Leo, sails!"

Soon the white fabric was billowing in the wind. Percy nodded.

"Anchor!" Reyna yelled. Sherman and Frank began to haul the massive piece of metal out of the water. Calypso watched the crew work with fascination.

Soon the ship began to move. It was slow at first, then a sudden gust of wind pushed it faster. Percy nodded to Jason, who'd just come on deck.

"Approaching the barrier." Reyna said, so only Percy and Nico could hear her. The two looked up at what was ahead of them.

"Do what you need to." Percy said.

Reyna nodded and pulled Calypso over. "Stand behind Jackson, as close as you can."

"Okay." She nodded nervously and did what Reyna told her.

Reyna walked to the front of the deck they were on. She pulled a small silver-edged compass out from her belt and opened it. The needle pointed north.

Reyna took a deep breath and thrust her arm into the air, holding the compass above her head. "I MAKE MY DEAL!" She roared over the sound of the wind that Jason was creating. "SHEPHERD THESE PRISONERS FROM THIS ISLAND!"

The barrier began to glow. Reyna gritted her teeth and closed her eyes. "SHEPHERD THESE PRISONERS FROM THIS ISLAND!"

She kept repeating the chant. Suddenly someone else's voice joined hers.

"SHEPHERD THESE PRISONERS FROM THIS ISLAND!" Nico was standing next to her when she opened her eyes, holding up a small pendant. All around them, her crewmates began to scramble for items of value.

Reyna let a feral grin cross her face. This was not the sacrifice she had made. Her crew, her family was taking it on as their responsibility as well.

The chant swelled, the whole ship screaming its defiance at the curse of the gods that had been placed on the island. The barrier was gleaming a bright blue and gold mix. Reyna ran to the front of the ship and held the compass out in front of her.

"SHEPHERD THESE PRISONERS FROM THIS ISLAND!" The barrier's light hurt her eyes, but she wanted to see this.

Just before the ship's prow touched the barrier, it shattered and sent shards of light everywhere. Reyna felt a stinging on her cheek that told her one had sliced her face.

She laughed. That was the best the gods could do? Weaklings.

The Doriana slid smoothly out past the barrier. A cheer erupted from her crew.

"You did it!" When Reyna turned around, Calypso ran up to her and hugged her tightly. "Thank you!"

She hugged the other girl. "You didn't deserve that imprisonment. Someone had to set the world right."

Calypso pulled away from the hug and frowned. "You're bleeding. Come on, if I get a poultice on it fast enough I can keep it from scarring."

Reyna shook her head. "Let it scar. I want a reminder of this."

The goddess of Ogygia frowned, but nodded. "At least let me stop the bleeding. As thanks."

Reyna smiled. "You don't need to thank me... but if you insist."

Calypso pulled her off to the ship's infirmary.