Chapter 12

The sound of explosions and gunshots surrounded Rhodes Island as they made their way through the enemy lines. At their helm, Skadi and Franka slashed anyone who dared come across them, a less painful fate than those who faced Lappland...

-Hey, don't run away, you little sh*ts!! I only want to have some fun with you!! – The unfortunate soldiers fired at her with their rifles but in vain, she was too quick. The lupo charged at them with her swords, and instants later the soldiers fell to the floor dead, their bodies pierced like cheddar cheese.

Their lucky streak, however, wouldn't last forever. From their flank, an entire squad armed to the teeth took positions. One of them set up his MG and started to rain lead onto Rhodes Island. They had no other option left other than hide behind a capsized truck.

-Tch, they have us pinned down. – muttered Skadi. – What will be our next move, Dr. Kal'tist?

-Just wait. – Calmly replied the lynx.

----------

-RATATATATATAAA!!! - The squad continued to press their attack. The MG fired ruthlessly at the truck, piercing it in several spots.

-Keep it up, boys!! – shouted one of the men.

At that moment, the MG ran out of ammo.

-God dammit... - cursed the gunner. – Go and find more ammo, Kevin!!

-On it!! – One of his mates went to search for the box, but then... - Wait, what the... AHHHH!!! – He screamed in agony as his body was thrown away and his bones broke upon hitting the trees. His fellows turned and saw as a crystal-like creature rose from the shadows. The riflemen pointed and screamed out loud.

-WTF IS THAT THING?!! KILL IT!!!

-GROOOAAARRR!!! – The "thing" went on the attack.

----------

Franka, Liskarm and the rest watched as the men tried to resist the beast's attacks. They fired with everything they had, but their M4 barely made a scratch in the creature's crystalline skin.

-No please... AGGHHH!!! – The creature used its claws and sliced through their bodies like a knife cutting butter. Instants later, their dismembered corpses laid in the floor, blood splashed everywhere. Kal'tsit let out a sigh.

-I would have wished to keep this ace under my sleeve, but it wasn't possible... - she then waved at the creature. – Monst3r, come here.

Monst3r obeyed her and floated to her side. She then shot a glare at her companions.

-Grab your things, we still have to rescue Amiya.

They nodded. Moments later, they were back on the move. As they made their way out of the clearing, more soldiers began to flood the place, and this time they were more heavily armored.

-Incoming!! – A mortar round landed very close to the team, creating a formidable explosion. The shrapnel hit Ch'en in the arm, wounding her.

-Madam Ch'en, are you okay?! – exclaimed Hoshiguma.

-Ugh... - the lung tired to ignore the pain. – Don't stop... we're almost...

The team's hopes were crushed when a M113, accompanied by several riflemen, came out from the woods and cut their escape route. W let out a curse.

-Fuck... We'll have to fight... - However, without anyone expecting it, a boy clad in soldier gear came out of the woods and, to the surprise of everyone, threw a grenade under the M113. A virulent explosion rocked the vehicle, and then the ammo rack exploded, tearing it apart. Ch'en and W recognized him, it was Matthews.