Chapter 22

The journey had been long and arduous, but it was over. The operators of Rhodes watched the deserted hangar, completely devoid of life. Before them stood what had remained after the battle. Charcoaled vehicles, burning trucks and the corpses of fallen soldiers... all witnesses to the ferocity of the battle.

Matt watched these remainders, his gaze lost in thought.

-We did it, guys... I don't know how but we did it.

-Yes Matt, and it's thanks to you two that we made it. – Spoke Ch'en. – If it wasn't for Edward, Alfred and you, we probably would be dead by now.

-Oh... - Let out Matt. – Well, you're welcome I guess...

After that, no one said anything, an uneasy silence enveloping them. Only after a while someone decided to break this silence.

-Now that DiAngelo is dead... - Said W as she turned to look at the machine. – I guess there's only one thing left to do.

Everyone agreed, they only needed to activate the portal and... they would return to Terra. It was something to be happy about... yet the only thing they felt was a sensation of emptiness, like they were leaving a place they could call "home". Liskarm let out a deep sigh.

-Ok... let's do this then.

The vouivre walked towards the control board. There, she flicked some levers and introduced something on the console, until...

-Destination set. Begin Ignition Protocol. – The machine came to life, its rotors began to turn at high speed and its lights flickered. – Establishing connection....

The rotors turned at even more speed... and then the portal appeared, the black sphere levitating above it. Kal'tsit looked at the operators and said.

-The portal's open. Go and day goodbye if you want, but we're leaving soon.

Amiya and the Doctor walked towards Matt.

-It has been a nice ride, buddy. – Said the Doctor. – I wish you the best of luck out there.

-We'll miss you two... – Said Amiya. – I don't think we'll meet again, but if we ever come across again I let you know that Rhodes Island is always open for you.

-Thanks, my little bunny. – Matt patted her head, to which she let out a cute yelp.

At that moment Ch'en approached them to say her goodbyes as well.

-Well, it's time for us to go on our separate ways, but it was nice to meet you, Will and Edward. – She paused for a moment. – Take care of yourselves, ok?

-Understood, Ch'en. I can't promise anything, but we'll try to not get killed. – Replied Matt.

-You better keep your promise, else I'm gonna go there and kick your butt myself! – Said the lung frowning.

The boy let out a chuckle. – Sure!

Apart from everybody else, Talulah was with Will, both making the most of the last moments they would spend together.

-Well, I guess is time to say goodbye... - Said the draco, her tone reflecting some sadness. – It hurts me to leave your side, but... I even if I wanted, I can't stay here.

- I understand. – He said. – It's too risky for you to stay here, I agree in that, but perhaps I could go with you...

-Sorry Will, but you can't do that. – She replied. – You don't how hash and cruel Terra can be. If you went there... I couldn't bear if something happened to you. I don't want you to share the same fate as Alina; your world is less cruel, safer... that's why I want you to stay.