Chapter 15

Everyone was in shock. This was a monumental revelation... and one that raised many questions. Matt and Will were especially confused by this.

-You're seriously telling me that, in a near future, Earth will become a place full of rock cancer and furries? – Matt asked in disbelief. – Kal'tsit, what the hell happened for the world to become like yours?

The lynx sighed.

-It's a long story... but I'll try my best to explain. As I've already told, 30.000 years ago Terra was just like Earth right now. They shared the same history; from the dawn of the first Homo Sapiens to the fall of the Soviet Union and the Covid-19 Pandemic...

"If I'm not wrong, we're in 2027. By this point, instability reigns across the globe. Ukarine fell the last year at the hands of Russia, and now China is immersed in its invasion of Taiwan. The US is in a deep crisis, unemployment runs rampant and the country is deeply divided. Only a miracle could save the country from total collapse...

And here's where DiAngelo came into play. In our world, he won the 2027 elections, becoming the president of the United States. He had promised to regain the hegemony of America in the world stage, and he would do exactly that... no matter the price. In 2028 a war broke out in the Middle East, the entire Muslim world united to wipe out Israel off the map. DiAngelo's response? He ordered an intervention, and the Airforce began a full-scale bombarding campaign over the entire region, burning to the ground cities like Bagdad or Teheran in the process.

This angered the Russian president, Dimitry Gergeiev. Tension began to mount all across Europe, the Defcon level was lowered to 4. And then, as if wasn't enough, in 2029 China launched Operation Baoying. The People's liberation Army launched the invasions of all countries around China: Vietnam, The Philippines and Korea. The following day came the declaration of war on behalf of the US, the Great Asian War had begun"

"The US wasn't prepared for a conflict of this scale. The first months saw the obliteration of US presence in the Asia region, with many allied nations falling to the Chinese advance. The worst came with their crushing defeat at the Battle of the South China Sea. That day half of the US Pacific Fleet was wiped out. This defeat was the signal president Gergeiev had been waiting for years...

In May, Russia finally joined the war, launching a massive offensive all across Europe. NATO was already weakened by the Asian front; they didn't stand a chance the Russian horde at the first bars of WW3... "

"Months later, the Russian Army had conquered all of Eastern Europe and stood at the gates of Berlin. China, for its part, was making advances in the Pacific, and soon Hawaii would be in reach. The US was losing the war in all fronts.... Back home everything was going downhill. Protest and chaos reigned in the streets, there was violence and many states were seeking independence. The United States was about to collapse...

And it was there, among the defeats, the protests, and the impending collapse of his country, that president DiAngelo took a decision. If the US was going to fall.... Then the US would drag the world down with it."

-The fatidic 24 of October, 2030, DiAngelo gave the order to deploy all the nuclear arsenal. Objectives: ALL. – She took a deep breath. – Many Russian and Chinese cities were destroyed minutes after the order was given; the two superpowers retaliated by launching their own arsenals. Hours later, the old world was gone, consumed in nuclear hellfire... - She pointed at her cat ears. – I was born 30 years after the "Great Disaster", being one of the first to develop animalistic features among the survivors, a result of the radiation. Anyways, as time went by, the memory of the old world faded away, buried in the sands of time... and from its ashes, a new world was born, Terra.