Chapter 16

There was total darkness. The public was silent, the only noise that could be heard was the sound of their breaths... but then, a voice reverberated through the auditorium.

-Ladies and gentlemen, I warmly welcome you to the Science World Expo!! This event brings the most renowned scientists of the world and all the latest innovations! However, this time will be different... Tonight, we have a special guest with us. With you.... The CEO of World Beyond, the man himself, Michael Highstew!!!

The room erupted into cheers and applauses as the lights came to live, revealing the slim figure of Highstew. The tycoon walked onto the stage, where the host received him with open arms.

-It's a pleasure to have you here tonight, Mr. Highstew. – Said the host.

-The pleasure is mine, Rockfuss. – Michael then turned his gaze at the public. – Many of the people present here know exactly who am I, and hence what do I do. – Holding his microphone tightly, he continued. – I've been in this community for a long time... and during those years nothing has shocked me more than hearing what some random dude said during CNN's yesterday broadcast. He literally said, and I quote: "Those scientist guys must be scratching their balls, because I don't see improvements anywhere"... - Highstew made a pause. – If you hearing me, random guy, then hear me this out... You think we do nothing, but I can assure you that at World Beyond Labs we do exactly that!! Everyday, our members make revolutionary discoveries, changing the lives of millions!! World Beyond was created with one purpose: The betterment of human society!! And that's what we will do!! So, if you're so daring to criticize the work of thousands of fellow researchers, then I've got a message for you...!! WE DON'T CARE!!!

The public applauded with joy to his words. Minutes later, when the situation calmed a bit, the host turned to Highstew and said.

-Wow, those were very impressive words. Now, you previously mentioned something about "revolutionary discoveries"... What discoveries has made your company in recent times?

-I'm glad that you've asked... because yes, World Beyond has made a huge breakthrough, and I want to share it with you tonight... - As he spoke, a screen behind him turned on. With a gesture of his hand he exclaimed. – Before you, humanity's latest invention!!!

-Wow... - The public was left speechless.

-World Beyond Labs has developed a brand-new method to generate electricity with a recently discovered substance. – He pointed at the projected blueprints. – This ore will become the substitute of all currently used energy sources: it doesn't generate wastes, it can be used and stored very easily... however, the most important quality of all is that it stores monstrous amounts of energy.... So much that it surpasses the amount that a nuclear reaction can generate. This, ladies and gentlemen, is the future!! This invention will revolutionize humanity itself!!

When he finished, the people were looking at him with amazement. The host applauded him.

-Mr. Highstew, this time you've surpassed yourself... This is truly a marvelous invention, one that can change the world.... However, you haven't mentioned what is this new material of yours... What it is Mr. Highstew? A new type of nano-engineered synthetic material, or...?

He let out a small chuckle.

-I'm sorry, my friend, but that's a question I'm not going to answer... at least for now. – He then looked at the public. – But do not fear. Next month, I'll hold a summit at the company's HQ, and there I'll release this new ore to the public!! You have my word!

-I'm sure that everyone will be looking forward to this announcement, Mr. Highstew... - said the host. – Well, I suppose that, as the busy man you are, you've got many things to take care of, so we won't bother you any further. Thanks for being with us this evening.