Chapter 14

The bonfire crackled in the dead of night, dissipating the shadows looming from the surrounding woods. Amiya and her companions sat around it, the bonfire's warmth creating a calm atmosphere for them to rest, a rest that they had yearned for.

-...and that should be it. – Kal'tsit extracted a bullet from Lappland's wound. The lupo's face contorted in pain as she did so.

Upon finishing, the lynx could only sigh. There were still many people that had to be treated, either of shrapnel wounds or bullets embedded in their bodies, all courtesy of the US Army guys. Fortunately, Dr. Kal'tsit could solve that with easy, a bandage would be enough in most of cases. However, not all wounds were physical...

-...*snif* Just... why?... – Matt watched the bonfire with a lost and sad look, his eyes were full of sadness and sorrow. The boy was still processing what had taken place, mourning over his friend's death.

He continued to sob silently, his gaze lost in the beautiful flames... until a certain cautus sat besides him.

-Hey, Matthews. - Said Amiya, with an expression of empathy. – I'm very sorry for what happened with Edward... I know that you two were very good friend, and I share the sentiment with you...

-Amiya, haven't you ever asked yourself why the world is so cruel? – Matt's question caught Amiya off-guard, but listened anyways. – Edward was innocent, he hadn't done nothing wrong... yet he got killed by the same government that sent his father to Falluhaj, to not return ever again... Just how rotten is this world!?

Amiya looked directly into his sad eyes. She then said.

-I know how you feel. At one point I felt the same, that everything was rotten and cruel... yet I didn't let the despair overtake me. I realized that yes, the world can be sometimes cruel, but I would fight for that to change, for the world to become a better place. – She made a pause. – Don't be sad. Edward was a lively person, and I think he would have wanted for you to be happy, despite him not being among us anymore...

Matt, touched by Amiya's words, suddenly pulled the cautus into a hug.

-Thank you... - he muttered.

-You're welcome. – She comforted him.

While this was taking place; Ch'en, who was being bandaged by Hoshiguma over her shrapnel wounds, intervened in the exchange.

-*Sigh* Edd was a good guy, I'll be missing him... even though he had pictures of a certain someone on his phone. – She made a pause. – Now that I think of it... Where's Will?

-I don't know. – Answered Matt. – Last time I saw him... was in the woods.

-Let him be, perhaps he just needs some time alone – Shrugged Hoshiguma.

-Yeah, you're right.

----------

Will had his gaze fixed at the starry sky. He was sitting in a log, on a place far from the camp. There, the only light came from the stars that covered the firmament. He had a listless and sad expression on his face, his mind lost in thought. "Edward, you shouldn't have died there... ", he thought. "This feeling of grief and regret, it's so familiar... The world has taken away those who I cared about... yet again. Why? Just... why?"

He heard the sound of breaking branches. Will immediately turned to see who it was. He let out a sigh of relief upon seeing who it was.

-Ah, it's you, Talulah... You almost gave me a scare...

-Mind if I join in? – Talulah took a seat besides him. Will didn't say anything, he just kept staring at the stars. An awkward silence had settled in, no words were said. After some moments that felt like hours, Talulah borke the silence.