Chapter 1: Uncle?

Fuka's POV

I open the door slowly, coming home from school. 'I hope mom and dad aren't home' I think to myself, navigating through the house. Suddenly, "Fuka!" I hear my mother shout. 

I sigh, "Yes mom?"

My mom walked out of her room, her golden eyes staring me down. "You need to start applying to high schools. Do you have any in mind?" she asked.

I had been dreading this question. I did have one in mind, but telling them would be catastrophic. "No..." I quietly say.

My mom quirked a brow, not believing me. "Then what's this?" she asked with malice, holding up the high school application form I had filled out, UA's hero course being the top of the list.

My heart faltered for a moment. "You want to be a hero?! I thought I told you that no child of mine would ever become a hero!" she shouted, walking closer to me.

I flinched and said, "But I want to help people."

My mother slapped me across the face, "Being a hero is a delusion. Heroes are scum!"

I grit my teeth, "No they aren't!" I shout, "They save people!"

That was the first time I ever stood up to her. Her eyes widened, caught off guard by my sudden passion and defiance. She was about to hit me again when the TV started talking about a hero, Hawks. She looked at the screen and recognition flashed through her eyes. "Y'know what? You go be a hero. I don't care, but you won't be welcome in this house," she snapped.

Fear coursed through my body. "W-where would I stay?" I asked.

My mom looked back at the TV, causing me to look as well. The hero they called Hawks had golden hair, golden eyes, and red wings... just like me and my mother. "You can stay with your stupid uncle," she said, picking up her phone.

Third Person POV

"Hawks sir?" one of Hawks' receptionists called out. 

Hawks looked up from his desk and asked, "Yes?"

"There's a woman on the line claiming to be related to you," the receptionist explained.

Hawks' eyes narrowed. He had the receptionist transfer the call to his desk and answered the call. "Keigo?" the woman asked.

Hawks' heart dropped, "How do you know my name?" he asked, serious.

"It's Yuki," the woman answered.

Hawks' eyes widened, remembering his older sister. "Holy shit. H-how are you?" he asked.

"Pissed off. My daughter wants to become a hero and I refuse to have a hero under this roof. Can she come live with you? If not, that's ok. I don't care if she is homeless or not," Yuki explained.

His breath hitched, 'She has a daughter...? And she is kicking her out for wanting to be a hero...?' "Where do you live?" he asked.

"Kamino. I'll send you the address," Yuki explained, hanging up.

Hawks instantly got out of his seat and flew out of his office, going straight to Kamino. He went to the address and hesitantly knocked on the door. A man with brown hair and eyes opened the door. "Who are you?" he asked.

"I'm Yuki's brother," Hawks answered, looking inside.

The man looked Hawks up and down and scoffed. "Fuka's in her room, packing."

Hawks walked into the house and instantly got hit with an intense smell of alcohol and cigarettes. He looked to the side and saw his older sister in the kitchen, glaring at him. 'I guess she is still like our father...' Hawks thought as he walked through the house, reaching a small door. He knocked and moments later, a girl around the age of 14 opened the door. "Hello," Hawks greeted, noticing how she looked almost exactly like him and Yuki, only her wings faded into orange near the bottom instead of being fully red. The girl hesitantly asked, "Are you my uncle...?"

Hawks nodded, "What's your name?" 

"Fuka..." she said quietly. 

"Well you can call me uncle Keigo, now, are you ready to go?" Hawks asked.

Fuka looked past Hawks and at her parents, who were glaring at her and Hawks. She quickly nodded and walked out of the room, only a small backpack with her. 

They left the house and Hawks asked, "How good are you at flying?" 

"Pretty good..." Fuka replied.

"Good, then follow me," Hawks said, flying up into the air.

She flew up beside him and followed him until they got to a secluded and rather large house. "Home sweet home," Hawks said happily, landing on his front porch. 

Fuka landed and looked around in awe. "This is your house...?" she asked.

Hawks nodded and led her inside. "Lucky for you, I already had a guest bedroom, so you can just stay in there. You're free to decorate it however you choose," Hawks explained.

Fuka had the ghost of a smile on her lips, 'I can't believe the number three hero is my uncle!' she thought to herself. "Um... Uncle Keigo...?" she asked.

He looked back at her and asked, "What's up kiddo?"

"...I want to be a hero... can you train me...?" she asked, scared that his reaction might be like her parents'.

Hawks smiled and said, "Why not?"

Fuka sighed in relief. "How about you get settled in and we can work on some training?" Hawks suggested.

Fuka nodded and put her small bag of clothes in her new room. She walked out and tied her long, golden hair into a ponytail. "You ready?" Hawks asked.

She nodded and they walked outside. "So, what's your quirk?" Hawks asked.

"Phoenix... so basically I can fly, but I can also manipulate fire," Fuka replied hesitantly.

Hawks' eyes lit up, "That's cool!" 

She looked at him with sparkling eyes, happy that his reaction was so positive. "Can you show me what you know how to do?" Hawks asked.

Fuka nodded and set her wings ablaze. She then manipulated some of the fire into the palm of her hand before throwing it at a punching bag. Hawks whistled, "Awesome," he said as he observed that she had a very scrawny body.

"Since you seem to have some pretty good control over your quirk, let's work on physical strength," Hawks said, walking over and saying, "We should start by doing some pushups, sit ups, etc."

Fuka nodded, prepared to do anything to be a hero.

And so, her new life began.