Chapter 18: Study Buddies

Tanaka's POV

When I got home, Keigo was livid with me. He was so angry that I had basically gotten myself killed, but at the same time, he was proud of my bravery for fighting Stain head-on. "Oh, your phone got destroyed too, right?" he asked.

I nodded and he pulled out a new one, "Here, just try not to die with it on you again."

I chuckled and said a quiet thanks while booting it up. Unluckily for me, I no longer had the same number, so I had to get everyone's numbers again. I relaxed for the rest of the weekend, sore from all the work I had been doing in the past week. Eventually, it was time to go back to school again. I got on the bus and stood in silence, keeping my eyes fixed on the ground when a certain person walked on the bus. Luckily for me, he didn't try to talk to me and I was able to journey to school in silence. As I was walking toward the classroom, one sound caught my attention. Laughter. I quirked a brow in confusion, but as I walked through the door, I understood why. 

Bakugo's hair... the iconic spikes had been smoothed down into a respectable side part. 

Best Jeanist you absolute mad lad.

I slowly walked in, trying to contain the bubble of laughter that was forming in my throat, but as soon as I made eye contact with Bakugo, I couldn't hold it in. I burst into laughter and watched as Bakugo went from pissed to embarrassed to downright furious. "IT'S NOT FUNNY! I TRIED TO BRING IT BACK TO NORMAL BUT IT'S STILL LIKE THIS, EVEN AFTER WASHING IT!" he exclaimed, his hair popping back into its normal fashion.

That only made me laugh harder. I was eventually clutching my side with pain because I was laughing so hard. "Tanaka! You haven't been responding to any texts from the group chat! Why???" Mina exclaimed as my laughing fit ended.

I put a hand behind my neck and chuckled nervously. "Oh, uh my phone kinda got destroyed during my internship..." I explained.

"You should've seen Kaminari, he was panicking thinking that you had died during the battle with Stain and that Iida, Midoriya, and Todoroki were just lying about it because they didn't want to scare us," Kirishima remarked.

I froze, noticing that the aforementioned boys did as well. "Um... about that..." I started, only to get interrupted by All Might bursting into the room. 

"Alright students! I know you just got back from your internships, but it's time for hero training! Let's see what you learned over the past week!" All Might exclaimed, "Suit up and meet me at Ground Gamma!"

I sighed and grabbed my gym uniform. While changing, the girls all stopped. "Wait Tanaka, are you not going to wear your costume?" Yaoyorozu asked.

I nervously chuckled, "It kinda got destroyed during my internship, so I have to wait for the support companies to make my new one."

"Wow, was that also when your phone got destroyed?" Mina asked.

I nodded as I finished changing and walked away, not really wanting to continue that conversation. All Might explained the exercise and I was with the second team. I watched the first round as Midoriya showed off his newfound moves and level of control with his quirk. 'I didn't really notice that he wasn't breaking his bones during the fight with Stain. Well, good for him,' I thought to myself, grimacing when he lost his footing and fell to the ground.

Then, it was my turn to go. All Might shot off the flare and I shot up into the air. I then sent out a large number of feathers as surveillance, one of them finding All Might in a matter of seconds. I turned and instantly flew through the complex to reach him, earning myself first place.

After the exercise, we went back to change in the locker room. Jirou then heard something and told all of us to get quiet, allowing us to hear a faint and muffled voice. "What's going on?" I asked.