Chapter 15: Two Knives

Tanaka's POV

We continue training over the next few days before one night, while we were on patrol, Miruko got a call. "What?! Alright, I'll be there soon," Miruko said, putting the phone away, turning to me, "We need to get to Hosu, now! There's a terrorist attack happening with those nomu things the League of Villains has!" she exclaims, "Do you think you can carry me and fly us over there?"

I nod and pick her up, flying us to Hosu. As we approach, I can see that there are numerous fires all over the place. I dive down, moving us faster. Once we are low to the ground, Miruko leaps from my arms and takes on a nomu. "Alright, Phoenix! I want you to work on evacuate citizens! Do not engage with villains, understand?!" Miruko shouted.

"Yes ma'am!" I shout, flying toward a group of civilians.

I pick them up with my feathers and fly them away from the scene and toward the paramedics. Then, I hear a scream. I turn around to see a nomu cornering a pregnant lady. My eyes widen in fear as I dart toward them, releasing many feathers. 'I can't engage with the nomu, but that doesn't mean I can't protect her with my feathers!' I thought to myself, shooting out so many feathers that it makes a shield around the woman. I then use the feathers to pick her up and gently carry her away from the nomu, still shielding her. She makes eye contact with me and bursts into tears as I lower her to the ground next to me, standing between her and the danger. "You saved my life! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" she exclaims.

I smile and put my arm around her shoulders and guide her to the paramedics. "Emi!" A man about the same age as the lady who I was carrying shouted, running up to us.

She smiled and said, "Don't worry, Haru, I'm fine. This young hero saved me."

He turned to me and hugged me with tears running down his eyes, "Thank you so much for saving my wife!!!" he cried.

"What's your hero name?" some of the other people I saved asked.

"Phoenix..." I replied shyly.

"Well, you got me rooting for ya, Phoenix!" one man says as everyone praises me.

Then, I feel a slight rumbling in my pocket. I pull out my phone and see that Midoriya had sent his location to the groupchat, and he's in Hosu. My heart dropped as I instantly understood what he meant, speeding in his direction. As I'm flying, I see into an alleyway and see Midoriya, Iida, the Hero Killer, and a random hero. I dive down, releasing flaming feathers down in bullet-hell fashion. They hit Stain as I land in front of Midoriya and watch as fire comes from behind Iida, revealing Todoroki. "You got some good friends, Ingenium!" Stain shouts, running toward Todoroki. 

Todoroki shoots up some ice while I fire more feathers at Stain. Stain growls and turns toward me. "Don't let him cut you! His quirk paralyzes you!" Midoriya warns as Stain runs at me.

I took one of my long feathers and held it up like a sword, ready to defend from his attacks. He swings at me, but I dodge, remembering my training with Miruko, and use that as an advantage to attack. I swing my feather-sword, but he swiftly dodges and jumps back as I light my wings ablaze. "Well aren't you full of surprises!" Stain shouts, throwing knives at me. 

I fly up to dodge them as Midoriya gets up and attacks Stain. 'He didn't break his bones!' I thought to myself as Stain throws a knife at Todoroki, cutting his cheek. I growl and swoop down toward the hero killer, kicking him as I fly by. As I fly away, I feel a sharp pain suddenly in my leg. I look down and see a knife sticking out of my calf. I hiss in pain and turn land beside Iida. "Tanaka! You need to get out of here! This is my battle!" he exclaimed.

I scoffed, "Y'know, Iida, I used to think you were smart, but this battle is showing me that you're a real idiot. You seriously think that you can take on the Hero Killer alone?!"

He grimaced as I continued, "Why don't you rely on your friends!? Yes, you're class rep, but that doesn't mean you have to do everything by yourself! Nobody can get through life without people helping them!"

His navy eyes met my golden ones, "So trust us, we know what we are doing."

I darted back into the battle, but I was too slow to stop Stain from licking the blood off my leg, trapping me in place. Midoriya got frozen once again and Todoroki was busy dodging Stain. Then, as Todoroki was about to be sliced down the middle, Iida finally got up and broke the blade. I felt my muscles begin to twitch as I could move again. I looked over and saw that Stain was about to throw knives at Iida and Todoroki, who were distracted by each other. "NO!" I shouted, darting in front of them just as Stain released his blades.

Moments later, I felt searing pain in my gut and chest. Silence falls on the battlefield before Midoriya screams, "Tanaka!"

I look to Todoroki and Iida, and they both gasp in utter fear and disbelief. I look down and see two knives sticking out of my lower gut and upper chest. I look back up at them in fear and pain, before falling to my knees. They both run to me as it begins to get harder to breathe. "N-no!" Iida yells.

Todoroki looks at the wounds and then my face, pain and fear all over his normally calm features. My body started feeling cold and fatigue washed over me like a weighted blanket. 

"No, stay awake, I know you're tired, but you need to stay awake!" Todoroki exclaimed.

I tried, but the fatigue was too strong, and my body started relaxing as every feeling I had started slipping away.

And everything went black.