Chapter 5: Chaos

Tanaka's POV

We finished our classes after the combat training, and just as I was about to leave, I felt a hand grab my shoulder. I looked back to see Todoroki standing behind me, glaring at me. "Todoroki...?" I asked.

"We need to talk..." he said quietly, walking away.

I watch him walk, but after a minute, he stops and looks back, so I quickly follow him. We walk outside and start walking away from the school, and I start getting worried. "Are you actually the niece of Hawks?" He asks, finally breaking the silence.

I nodded, wondering where he was going with this. "My father is Endeavor..." he says dejectedly before continuing, "His one purpose for creating me was to surpass All Might..."

"Creating you...?" I ask.

He sighs, "Have you ever heard of quirk marriages?" I nod, "My father bought out my mother's relatives with the purpose of creating a strong child to surpass All Might. However, my old man is a scumbag. He has done some terrible things to get what he wants, so I'm going to beat All Might and be number one without using his damned fire quirk."

"Why are you telling me this?" I ask.

He turned to look at me, his stare cold, "Because I don't want you getting in my way as you are the successor to the number 3 hero. And your power... what you showed today is that you're very powerful. However, have you noticed the similarity between All Might and Midoriya?"

I thought about it for a moment and nodded, knowing they have a very similar power set, "Do you think there could be a relationship between them?" I ask.

Todoroki nodded, "I'm not sure quite what it is yet, but there is a relation between the two. If I could beat him without fire, it would prove to my bastard of an old man that I don't need his fire quirk."

"What do you mean 'his fire'? It's your quirk," I say.

Todoroki looks at me in shock, "Yeah, you inherited it from him, but it's still your quirk, and only you can choose how you use it."

He stops walking, his eyes wide. I look back at him and give him a soft smile, "See you tomorrow, Todoroki."

He only watched as I boarded the bus, unaware of the purple-haired boy glaring at him with jealousy.

.

.

.

The next day was boring at first, but then when lunch came, Todoroki walked up and asked, "I'd like to talk to you. Can you sit with me at lunch?"

I nod and follow him, getting my lunch and sitting down. He stares at me with his gray-blue eyes, and I ask, "What did you wanna talk about?"

He looks down for a moment and says, "I've thought about what you told me last night... and it has really stuck with me. I'm... I'm not ready to give up my pledge just yet, but it is something that I will think about. Thank you..."

I smile and nod, "Of course, Todoroki!"

"And I wanted to ask you -" Todoroki was interrupted by the blaring of alarms.

We looked around in shock before getting up to evacuate with the rest of the students. As we entered the hallway, I felt my wings get crushed by the enslaught of people and had to bite my lip to keep myself from crying. I looked up to see that I had gotten separated from Todoroki and instantly began to panic. I looked around, trying to find a familiar face in the crowd, but people kept pushing and shoving me so much that I couldn't do anything.

Then someone slammed into my wings, pushing them in an unnatrual way, causing a painful crack. I screamed and looked back to see that my wings were both broken. I heard Iida shout something, but I didn't care. The students began to disperse, and I was left with two broken wings. I then heard concerned voices come toward me, and I looked up to see Todoroki and Shinso running toward me. "Tanaka!" Shinso shouted, grabbing my shoulders, looking at my wings.

"We need to get her to Recovery Girl," Todoroki stated, also staring at my misshapen wings.

They both glared at each other, neither knowing the other or their intentions with me. Todoroki then put an arm around me and started walking me to Recovery Girl's office, and Shinso ran behind me and supported my wings. We entered her office, and she instantly ran over, giving me a quick kiss. My energy drained quickly as the bones began to knit themselves back together. Before I knew it, I had drifted off to sleep.

Third person POV

Shinso and Todoroki both stared at the beautiful winged blonde girl who was now asleep in a makeshift hospital bed. "Now go on, get to class, you two," Recovery Girl told them, shoving them out of the room.

Once the door closed, the two glared at each other. "How do you know Tanaka?" Todoroki asked.

"I should be asking you the same thing," Shinso snapped.

Todoroki narrowed his eyes, "I'm in her class. What about you?"

"We both ride the bus here, and we are friends" Shinso admitted, knowing that he probably knew her far less than the half and half boy.

Todoroki scoffed, "Well, you better be careful not to hurt my friend."

Shinso glared at him, "Same goes to you, pretty boy."

As they walked away from each other, Todoroki replayed the words he had just said in his head. 'Did I actually just refer to her as a friend...? Is she even a friend...? I've never had a friend before...' he thought to himself before he entered the classroom. Aizawa and the class stared at him, "You're late," Aizawa remarked.

"I was busy taking Tanaka to the nurse's office. Her wings got broken during the commotion in the hall," Todoroki explained, feeling bad for not staying by her during everything.

"I see. Well, take your seat," Aizawa instructed.

Todoroki nodded and sat down, ignoring the glares from some of his fellow classmates.

.

.

.

The next day, Tanaka was waiting on the bus when Shinso got on. Her eyes lit up, and she waved at him. He walked over and asked, "How are you feeling?"

"Better, Recovery Girl healed my wings completely," Tanaka replied.

Shinso nodded and looked down, a little self-conscious. He then looked up to see a pair of golden eyes staring at him, "Is something wrong, Shinso?" She asked.

He sighed and asked, "Who is that Todoroki guy to you?"

She tilted her head in confusion, "He's in my class."

Shinso nodded and looked away before asking, "Do you actually like being friends with me?"

Tanaka's eyes widened, "Yes, of course I do! You... you are my first friend and you've been so nice to me and you helped me out a lot and I'm just so glad to have gotten to know you!"

Shinso was taken aback, 'I'm her first friend...? I would've guessed she was super popular.'

He then smiles and said, "Ok. And just so you know, I'm also glad to be your friend."