Chapter 2: The Entrance Exam

Fuka's POV

It's been about a month since Keigo took me in, and I couldn't be more happy. He is so fun and nice, compared to my mother at least. He doesn't hit me, yell at me, or anything like that. It's... strange, but I love it! We've been training a lot so I can take the UA entrance exam, which is today! I've improved a lot and I feel a lot more confident in myself now.

I got out of bed and put a light red tank top and black leggings on, tying my hair up in a ponytail. I walked downstairs and saw Keigo in the kitchen, eating some chicken and waffles. "I made breakfast," he said happily.

"Wow, you didn't burn the house down, good job." I remarked.

"It was one time!" Keigo defended, "Besides, the fire didn't even last that long."

"Yeah, that's because I put it out with my quirk," I replied sassily.

"My very own fire extinguisher," Keigo joked, his hands on my shoulders. 

 We laughed for a bit before Keigo said, "Man, I wish Yuki had given you to me sooner."

I smiled, "Yeah, this has been the best time of my life."

Keigo sighed, getting sad for a moment, but then changed the subject, "Not to mention, we missed the deadline for applying for you being able to take the recommended exam."

"That's ok, I'll just take the regular one, I mean, you've been training me so much that I should do fine!" I say excitedly.

Keigo chuckled and walked over, ruffling my hair. "That's the spirit. Now, I've got to go to work, so I'll see you later kiddo. Good luck on your exam," he said, flying off.

I waved goodbye and checked the time. 'It starts in an hour, I should start heading there now,' I thought to myself. I walked out and walked to a bus stop, deciding to save my energy for the exam by not flying. I got on the bus, standing near the back so I don't disturb many people with my wings. The bus starts going and eventually stops at another stop. A boy, seemingly my age, walks on and stands across from me. The boy had wild purple hair and eyes with dark bags under his eyes. I looked away for a moment to make sure that I had everything I needed, and looked up to see that he was staring at me. "Hi?" I asked.

"Hey," he said, his voice deep.

"Is there a reason you're staring at me?" I ask.

He shrugged, "I dunno, you just look a lot like Hawks."

I sighed, "Yeah, he's my uncle."

The boy smirked, "Nice. I take it you're taking the UA entrance exam today?"

I nodded, and he said, "Me too."

I smiled, "What's your quirk?" I asked him.

He suddenly went quiet and looked away, "You don't wanna know."

I tilted my head to the side, "Why not?"

He looked at me for another moment and said, "Because it's a villain quirk."

I quirked a brow, "But you wanna be a hero. How is it a villain quirk?"

"Because it's brainwashing," he answered, obviously angry.

My eyes lit up, "That's cool!"

He looked at me in shock. "Aren't you scared of me now? Don't you think I'll take control of you with my quirk?"

I shook my head, "I mean, you said you wanna be a hero, so that tells me that you're a good person."

The boy looked at me curiously before he chuckled, "If only, the name's Hitoshi Shinso."

I smiled and said, "Fuka Tanaka. Nice to meet you Shinso!"

The bus stopped just outside of UA and we left the bus. "Good luck on your exam, Shinso," I said happily.

He smiled, "You too, Tanaka."

We parted ways when we reached the auditorium and listened as Present Mic explained our exam. Once that was over, we went to our respective battlegrounds, mine being battleground A. I looked around at the many faces in my group, and started pumping myself up. "START!" Present Mic yelled.

I flew right into the battleground and set my wings aflame. I sent flaming feathers at the robots, dismantling them as much as I could. '12 points' I counted, continuing throughout the course. 'I'm glad I inherited the part of Keigo's quirk that allows his feathers to harden instead of them being constantly soft like mom's,' I thought to myself as I grabbed one of my larger feathers, using it as a flaming sword to take down more robots. I dismantled yet another, making my total points 50, when I heard someone yell, "Hey, birdbrain! That was my kill!"

I looked up to see a boy with spiky blonde hair and crimson eyes staring at me, very pissed off. I quietly said sorry and flew away, not wanting to get in a fight with another student. I may be sassy, but only with Keigo. I would be sassy with more people had my parents not been such douche-nozzles and given me a shit ton of trauma, but whatever. I kept fighting throughout the exam, when I saw that someone was about to get attacked by a robot from behind. I shouted, "Look out!" and used my flaming wing-sword to stop the robot before it could hurt the other person. 

Just as I did that, Present Mic shouted that the exam was over. I sighed in exhaustion, happy to be done with the test. "Excuse me?" a voice from behind me said.

I turned around to see a short girl with long green hair standing there. 'The girl I saved,' I thought to myself before asking, "Yes?"

"I just wanted to say thank you for saving me," she said happily, "My name is Tsuyu Asui, but you can just call me Tsu."

I smiled and said, "You're welcome, and I'm Fuka Tanaka."

We parted ways and left the exam. 'I got around 70 points. I hope that will be enough.' I thought to myself, walking to the bus stop. I looked around and saw Shinso walking back, "Hey!" I called out.

He waved sadly and asked, "How did you do on the exam?"

"I think I did good, I got a little less than 70 points. What about you?" I asked.

He looked down, almost in shame, and said, "I didn't get any... my quirk isn't exactly good for those kinds of battles."

"Oh... I'm sorry," I said, feeling bad for him.

"It's ok, I kinda expected it to go that way, that's why I applied to the General Studies course as well," he explained.

"Ok," I said before the bus stopped. 

"This is my stop, see you around Tanaka," Shinso said, leaving the bus.

"Bye!" I called out after him.

A week or so later, Keigo came into the living room with a large letter in hand. "Fuka! It's from UA!" he said excitedly.

I gasped and jumped up, yanking the letter out of his hand. I ripped it open and a small disk fell out of the envelope. Suddenly, a hologram showed and started playing. "I AM HERE!" All Might yelled from the hologram. 

"Young Tanaka, you may be wondering what I am doing here at UA! Well, you're looking at UA's newest faculty member!" he shouted.

'Wow, I never thought I'd actually get to meet All Might,' I thought to myself, excited.

"Now, let's go over your test results. You got 66 combat points, but that's not all, Rescue Points! You earned 10 rescue points, placing you in second out of everyone who took the exam! Young Tanaka, this is your hero academia," All Might finished before the hologram shut off. 

Then, I got tackled in a hug. "I knew you could do it!" Keigo exclaimed.

I chuckled and he asked, "Celebratory KFC?"

I nodded and we left to go get some food, still in shock. 'I-I got in... I'm gonna be a hero!' I thought to myself, tears rolling down my cheeks.