Chapter 13: Concern

???'s POV

I watched the final fight of the Sports Festival with a slight smile. The Tanaka girl had caught my attention. Not only did she have immense control over her quirk, but something caught my eye. As she was fighting Bakugo, the feathers that were destroyed by his quirk grew back, and it wasn't your standard regeneration either. In the places that the feathers were missing, almost instantly after being destroyed, they seemed to burn themselves back into existence. I turned to my right hand man and asked, "What is her quirk...?"

The old man browsed his files and pulled one out. "Her quirk is called Phoenix. She essentially has all the attributes of the mythical bird," he read.

"All the attributes?" I asked, thinking about one specific attribute that phoenixes are said to have.

He nodded again. I smirked and we sat in silence for a moment as I came up with a plan, the only sound being the buzzing of my life support. "Well well well, I think I have a solution to my current predicament, Doctor."

Tanaka's POV

Kai was experimenting and strengthening his quirk on me again. I was probably 12 at the time, but he still refused to hold back. My parents happily agreed for me to be his training dummy, anything for extra cash and praise from the mob boss, I guess. He was frustrated today, his attacks were more violent. After our sparring match, which was more just him beating me up and me trying to dodge, I was pretty beat up. "I swear, you're so useless to me!" he exclaimed, lowering his hand to my head.

I flinched as he lowered his hand to my head, but I couldn't move. Every atom split from my body, and all that was left was a pile of blood on the floor. Normally, he would repair me right away, but he was so angry that he intended to leave me for dead... However, I then felt something I had never felt before. 'I-I don't wanna die!' I thought quietly as the feeling started as a small warmth exuding from my heart, or at least, what my soul perceived as my heart as I no longer had a physical body. Then, the warmth grew, eventually engulfing my body in an inferno. Suddenly, I could feel again, my body was back. I opened my eyes and looked up to see Kai staring at me in shock and fear. "H-how...?" he asked. 

I tried to speak, but no words came to mind. 

Kai reported the incident as he wanted to keep experimenting on what I could do, but the boss was so furious that Kai had intended to kill me that he refused. 

And that was the last time I was ever forced to train with Kai.

...

I shot awake. I looked around and saw Recovery Girl holding a bucket of water and was staring at me in fear. It took me an extra few seconds to realize that I was wet. "W-what happened?" I asked.

"You burst into flames!" Recovery Girl exclaimed.

I looked around and noticed how my clothes and the bed beneath me were singed. "Sorry..." I muttered.

"You need to be more careful!" Recovery Girl scolded, "But, since you're awake, you should get going. The awards ceremony is starting soon."

I nodded and got out of my seat, surprisingly in no pain. 'Must be Recovery Girl's quirk,' I thought to myself as I walked through the hall. I met up with Midnight and the others only to see Bakugo chained up to the first place spot on the podium. His ruby eyes locked onto me and he struggled more, obviously upset. "What's going on...?" I asked.

"He isn't satisfied with how your fight ended and doesn't accept his win," Todoroki explained, "By the way... are you ok? You looked like you were traumatized for a moment before he knocked you out."