1 - Quidditch at midnight

-third person pov-

Fog rolled through the small Scottish village, hovering over paths and roads, the only source of light being dim lengthy lamp posts that towered over anyone who crossed beneath them.

The sky thundered and the wind hollered, ratting through letterboxes attached to many homes scattered among fields, the eerie clanking sound echoing through the halls and rooms of the houses that owned them.

Although, even in the dead of the blistering cold night, a seventeen-year-old boy named Oliver Wood was wide awake and unable to sleep. Now, this young boy felt that if you were on the verge of exhaustion you should be in bed, sleeping, but apart from that, you have no other excuse to be lazy- even if it's the middle of the night. As a result of his strong opinion, he clambered out of his bed and headed across the creaky floorboards to his younger sister's room, her light snores could be heard as he crept through the doorway, tiptoeing across the floor to avoid noise. As he finally reached her bed he lightly tapped the girl on her shoulder, she stirred but didn't wake just simply turned her back to him. He tapped again, this time with more force, she groaned and faced him, her eyes squinted.

"Was me turning my back to you not giving a bit of a hint to go away?" She stopped for a second, her face plastered with annoyance, "What time is it?"

"Time doesn't matter, it's irrelevant right now," said Oliver, setting himself down at the end of her bed, "I just couldn't sleep so I decided to come and have a chat,"

"Well, I could sleep and was having a good enough dream before 'Mr. I'm wide awake' came barging in," she said, perching herself up on her elbows to face her brother.

"Fine, 'suppose I'll just have to leave then," Oliver said, sighing dramatically.

"I'm awake now, not much point in you leaving," the girl said, grinning from ear to ear, "So, what's this chat you're looking for?"

"Not really a chat, more a question..." he said, his eyes gleaming with hope as he continued, "Fancy a Quidditch match?"

"Seriously, Oliver?" she said, her once grinning face dropping, "In the middle of the night?"

"Oh go on, Y/n!" he shot back, "Just for an hour or so-"

"Fine then, don't start trying to persuade me," Y/n stated, pulling herself out of bed, "I need a cup of tea first, though, go boil the kettle."

"Right, right," said Oliver, scrambling out of Y/n's room and down the stairs.

She pulled her Gryffindor sweater over her head and pulled a pair of socks on. In the corner of her room, a small hoot came from a tiny barn owl that was sitting in its cage.

"Lynch!" she called, scurrying over to the cage, "Want a munch?"

The owl hooted again, in acceptance, its unmistakable blue eyes glowed at the thought of food. Y/n grabbed a handful of owl food and placed it in the bowl on her desk, beside it lay a piece of parchment and quill which were practically calling to be used; she thought for a moment.

"Fancy going for a fly tonight, Lynch?" she asked, the owl hooted back, just glad it was eating.

She swiftly tugged her desk chair out and began to write, eagerly scribbling down sentences and letters only to end up crossing them out. Her rapid handwriting turned out to write a small yet efficient letter addressed to her best friends, it wrote:

She briskly placed it into an envelope and wrote the boys' names on it, ready for Lynch to take to the burrow, "It's ready when you are," she smiled

Y/n briskly made her way down the stairs, still aware not to wake the rest of her family. She grabbed her broom from under the stairs which was a 'Comet Two Ninety' and made her way into the kitchen where Oliver was standing tapping his foot.

"You took your time," he said, shoving a mug of tea in her direction.

"Mm, want me to go out and play or not?" Y/n smirked, taking a sip of the tea when an awful taste trickled down her throat, "Are you trying to poison me or something?"

"Hopefully," he mumbled and shrugged.

"You know what? You're dead on that pitch," she spoke, pointing out to the back garden where two Quiccitch posts sat.

"You're on," Oliver said through gritted teeth.

"No. You're on." Y/n persisted, sprinting out to the garden and hopping on the Comet broom, soon followed by her brother.

.....

Without realising it, the two siblings had played into the sunrise. Birds had already begun chirping while a faint summer breeze came through the air, finally oppressing the violent howls of the night, the soft fog continuing against the peaceful dewy fields. The pair had flown their brooms to a nearby hill, still cautious not to be seen by the muggles in their community; they sat with their legs crossed and stared at the wild apricot flames taking over the once dark-black sky, they sat in a peaceful silence, taking in the extraordinary views.

"Y/n?" said Oliver, his voice low and calm.

"Hm?" hummed Y/n in response, her eyes refusing to leave the scene.

"You think we have a chance of winning this cup?" he gulped as though the thought was too much to take in, "It's my last chance and-"

"Ollie, I wouldn't doubt us winning in a million years," her voice remaining in a hushed whisper, while a devilish grin appeared on her face, "And you shouldn't either, captain,"

The boy's face immediately blossomed bright pink, "You're something else, Y/n," he scoffed a laugh lightly.

"Good or bad?" said Y/n, taking her eyes off the sky and raising her brows, "If it's not good, you're seriously in for it, Ollie,"

"Er, no comment," said Oliver, jumping up to his feet and throwing a hand down to Y/n, "C'mon before mum or dad finds out we snuck off,"

She grabbed his hand and pulled herself up, grabbing her broom on the way, "Last one back to the house is a Dungbeetle!" Y/n roared, flinging herself on her Comet and racing back to the house.

"Y/n!" shouted Oliver back, racing forward and trying to catch his sister, her cackles being heard from miles away.

.....

Authors note:

Hey! So this is the new 'Falling for a Friend', I just wasn't really feeling the other one and of course, I'm still going to steal stuff from it and follow the same storyline, but I'm just going to make it more interesting and build more relationships with more characters!

I'm excited to actually update this unlike the other one, obvi I liked it too but it just never had good moments and it was really borderline boring in my mind and probs yours too if you read it! Anyway, enjoy this new fic! :)

oops and if your settings are in dark mode sorry about the letter lol

Word count: 1194