14 - The Flight of the Fat Lady

-second person (y/n pov)-

You and the twins reached the Entrance Hall and crossed into the Great Hall. It was decorated with hundreds of candle-filled pumpkins, a cloud of fluttering live bats and many flaming orange streamers, which were draped lazily across the stormy ceiling.

You took your seats beside Angelina Johnston, Alicia Spinnet, Katie Bell, Oliver, Lee and Aiden O'Conner. When food was served, you hastily piled it onto your plate before it would be eagerly gobbled up, even though many students were already bursting with Honeyduke's sweets.

Throughout the feast, many Hogwarts ghosts such as Nearly Headless Nick, the Gryffindor ghost, provided entertainment for the students and professors. Nearly Headless Nick provided a successful re-enactment of his very own botched beheading.

Finally, when the feast was over, you, Fred, George and Lee followed the rest of the Gryffindors along the usual path to the Tower, however, when you reached the Fat Lady's corridor, you found it jammed with students.

"What's this all about?" Fred sighed, turning to look at you.

"Where's the Fat Lady gone?" you asked, crossing your arms in front of your chest.

In a matter of minutes, Harry, Ron, Hermione and a few other third-year Gryffindors joined you in front of the portrait.

"Why isn't anyone going in?" said Ron curiously.

"'Cause we fancy staying out here," Fred scoffed, nudging Ron on the shoulder.

"Let me through, please." came Percy's voice.

"Great here comes perfect Percy, the prat." George snickered, shaking his head.

"What's the hold up here? You can't have all forgotten the password- excuse me, I'm Head Boy-" he came bustling up through the crowd, slightly tripping you up and sending you into Fred, "Apologies, Y/n."

You began to sport a bright red complexion across your cheeks, "Uh- funny seeing you here."

"It is funny seeing me here," said Fred unseriously, he was the only thing that helped moments like these by instantly brightening up the mood. You both stifled your laughs and kept paying attention to Percy at the front of the crowd.

A deathly silence fell over the students, from the front first, so that a chill seemed to spread down the corridor. You heard Percy say, in a sharp tone, "Somebody get Professor Dumbledore. Quick."

"The Fat Lady! She's Gone!" said Ginny, who had scrambled beside you.

"Serve's her right, she was a terrible singer," said Ron.

"It's not funny, Ron." said Hermione, a look of terror on her face.

In the next moments, Professor Dumbledore arrived; the Gryffindors squeezed together to let him through to the portrait with ease. You stood up on your tiptoes and got a glimpse of what happened. Like Ginny said, the Fat Lady vanished from her portrait, but it had been aggressively slashed so that pieces of the canvas were littered around the floor. Dumbledore kept his calm demeanour throughout while Professors McGonagall, Lupin and Snape came hurrying towards him.

"We need to find the Fat Lady." said Dumbledore, "Professor McGonagall, please alert Mr Filch at once and ask him to have every painting in the castle searched for her."

"You'd be lucky!" said the cackling voice of Peeves the Poltergeist, who was bobbing over the crowd, looking delighted over the scene of chaos.

"What do you mean, Peeves?" said Dumbledore, continuing to keep his calm demeanour maintained, resulting in Peeve's wide grin fading, he wouldn't even taunt Dumbledore himself, instead he created a fake voice instead of his usual, horrible voice.