9 - New Time Record

-second person (y/n pov)-

The evening drew nearer as the sun quietly slumped down behind the mountains covering Hogwarts. Torches began to flicker into light across the halls, illuminating students' and professors' ways to wherever they were going. The first day of classes was over; only a couple hundred left to go.

"That daft dimpo!" Hissed Hermione furiously, stomping through the porthole to the Gryffindor common room with Ron and Harry trudging behind her, "He has to ruin everything!"

The three of them made their way across the common room to where you, Fred, George and Lee all sat in the corner, exhaustingly scribbling down the many pieces of homework to be completed for the next day. About all any of the Professors talked about was your upcoming O.W.L.s this year and how you could prepare for them, which meant giving each of you a pile of work to do that had to be completed straight away.

"He's an absolute idiot!" raged Hermione, slamming her book on the table in front of your group, making Lee jump, "On Hagrid's first day, too!"

"Godric, what's all the fuss about?" asked George, his eyes wide and waiting for her response.

"Oh I'll tell you what happened-" started Hermione, only to be cut by Ron.

"Bloody hell, Hermione, calm down,"

"Malfoy thought it was the best idea to go and insult a Hippogriff at our Care of Magical Creatures lesson today. It got angry and snapped at him, but of course, he had to go make a big deal of it!" rattled Hermione, a flash of anger once again sprouting across her face.

"Git." spat Fred and George in unison, their eyebrows furrowed in fury.

"So what's gonna happen now? Hagrid won't get sacked, will he?" you asked, a grim display on your face.

"The Malfoys are powerful in the ministry, you never know what they could pull," answered Lee, "-doubt Dumbledore'd let anything happen to him, though."

"Hm, 'suppose so," you murmured in response.

"Right, let's stop talking about this, yeah?" said Fred, clapping his hands together and standing up, scanning his eyes across the room in search of his and George's next victim, "Im thinking Percy?"

"Read my mind, Freddie," replied George happily, following Fred and making his way over to Percy, abandoning his work.

"He's been sighted!" roared Seamus Finnegan, throwing the porthole open and sprinting into the room, "He's been sighted!"

He smacked an issue of the Daily Prophet onto the table in front of you and pointed to the front page.

"Who?" said Ron, obliviously.

"Sirius Black!" at once, the common room went dead silent as everyone cascaded over to look at the paper, all beginning to share murmurs and doubts of worry.

You felt your heart drop into your stomach, how had he got so near so quickly? You knew he wasn't someone to take lightly, he was a mass murderer! Potentially.

"Dufftown? That's not far from here," said Hermione, apprehensively.

"You don't think he'd come to Hogwarts, do you?" said Neville Longbottom, fearfully.

"With Dementors everywhere?" said Lee, shaking his head in disbelief.

"He already slipped past them once, who's to say he won't do it again?" said George, him and Fred towering over the back of your seat, staring down at the clipping.

"That's right. Black could be anywhere." said Bem, "It's like trying to catch smoke, like trying to catch smoke with your bare hands."

You turned to look at Fred and lightly smirked at him about the boy's intensity which he returned.