2 - The Wood Family

-second person (Y/n pov)-

Following a swiftly competitive race home, you and Oliver spoke for another hour or so in your bedroom before Oliver retreated across the hall and into his room, instantly you could hear his unbearably obnoxious snoring even with the door closed. Your eyes searched for the clock that mounted your bedroom wall which read '8:23', wide awake and unable to sleep, you decided to pull yourself out of bed and head back downstairs.

As you rounded the corner to enter the living room a strong scent of scrambled eggs and toast wavered through your nose, you could hear the miniature radio playing the morning muggle news as you sat down on the three-seater couch, your mother sitting across from you reading this mornings issue of 'The Daily Prophet'. When you inspected the paper closer, you saw a photo on the front cover warning witches and wizards of a deranged-looking man with a frail face and dark messy hair named Sirius Black, who had just escaped from Azkaban prison. An escapee from Azkaban? Since when did that ever happen? Who could possibly get past those Dementors?

"What's that all about, mum?" you said, hinting at the headline 'HAVE YOU SEEN THIS WIZARD?'

"Hm? Oh, Sirius Black?" she said, frowning at the picture, "He's one of You-Know-Who's supporters, he's the one who killed Peter Pettigrew, supposedly,"

"What do you mean, 'supposedly'?" you frowned, you had heard the tale of the 'Massacre in London' many times before but had never heard someone almost take Black's side.

"I just mean-" said Mrs Wood, getting out of her chair and fluffing the pillow that sat on it, "I knew Black, very well, and he never- well he never seemed awful, but then again me and your father were three years older than him at Hogwarts,"

"Hm," you pondered, maybe your mum was right but then again, people change. You watched your mother pottering around the room, she looked unnaturally flustered as if something was completely throwing her off track, maybe it was Sirius Black but then again, what would mum have to do with him?

"Speaking of dad, where is he?"

"He had to apparate to the Ministry very early, Amelia Bones sent an owl saying he had an urgent matter to attend to," said Mrs Wood, checking and fixing her hair in the living room mirror, "Something about that Mundungus Fletcher again he said."

"Ooh, must be interesting enough if the head of the department had an owl sent personally," you said, extremely dramatically.

Mrs Wood chuckled lightly while rolling her eyes at her daughter's comment before strolling into the kitchen. You followed your mother into the kitchen, still not just finished with the conversation.

"So mum..." Y/n dragged, leaning herself against the kitchen counter, "When are we gonna go to Diagon Alley?"

"Today, I was able to get you and Oliver rooms at the Leaky Cauldron for tonight, so start packing your bags," she smiled, pulling a bit of your hair behind your ear, "Oh! And I do think the Weasleys are staying there too,"

"What? Tonight?"

"Yes tonight," she replied.

"And you're not coming?"

"No, I've got a meeting at the Ministry but Molly and Arthur will be keeping track of you and Oliver,"

"But you'll be at Kings Cross before we leave for Hogwarts?"