25 - Buckbeak's Case

-second person (y/n pov)-

Gradually the evening light stuck out longer and birds hung about to sing a tune, rain steadily died down and the sun lit the sky; the perfect weather to enjoy a day at the lake. However not for you. With your upcoming O.W.L.s in the next months, you were cooped up in the library trying to achieve somewhat of a head start with revision.

At this moment, you were hunched over 'A Guide To Advanced Transfiguration' book, trying your best to concentrate while the twins loudly messed about with each other.

You were surprised there wasn't smoke coming out of Madam Pince's ears with the racket they were causing; occasionally, they bewitched a book to sprout a pair of legs and hobble around the room.

"You two, keep it down." you hissed, throwing your eyes out of the book and narrowing them at the pair.

"It's not our fault we're bored," George said, trying to sound somewhat sympathetic, "If you could just hurry up with your studying and let us leave."

"I told you both to go to Hogsmeade with Lee instead of coming with me," you shrugged, "I knew the both of you were going to be head wreckers."

"Pulling out big words now," Fred snickered, earning him a whack across the head with a spare piece of parchment you were using, "Ow- er, right, yeah, sorry."

"And you two should both be studying, too." you lectured, "We've got our career meetings with McGonagall soon."

"Career what now's?" Fred asked, flabbergasted.

"With McGonagall?" George repeated, his jaw almost hitting the floor.

"Mhm," you hummed.

Surprisingly, that shut them up, partly. They continued to talk, but much quieter now, barely even a whisper; George pulled up a chair beside you and Fred so they could continue their 'confidential' conversation. You couldn't care less what they were talking about and didn't want to ask, not yet anyway, as you were achieving some kind of revision.

After a while of the twin's hushed conversation, they decided that now would be the time to 'discuss their further meaning' and head back to the common room.

"The both of you can't go in there with McGonagall," you said as they began to leave, "You do know that?"

Their eyes instantly widened as though what you just said really threw a spanner in the works.

"We'll be back soon," Fred mumbled quickly.

"Take your time." you hummed, turning back to the book and hearing them clatter out of the library.

.....

It approached your sixth hour of deep revision; you hadn't noticed the emptied library and the coal-black night outside. You finished up on notes for Transfiguration about two hours ago and now you ploughed onto Potions.

There was no sign from any of the boys since they left, but you presumed they were probably off causing havoc somewhere.

You heard heavy steps quickly approaching you and a loud thud echoing around the room as a pair of hands clutching an envelope slammed down in front of you. Your eyes shot up to see Hermione, her eyes so bloodshot it ensured you she cried.

"Hermione," you said, pulling her to the seat free beside you, "What happened?"

"Hagrid lost his case. Buckbeak is going to be executed."