5| 𝐐𝐮𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

Nova had barely paid attention to any of her classes. Not that any of her teachers expected her to. Each lesson, students were called out to be questioned. Nova was still waiting her turn. Her brown eyes were focused on the window. She looked over at the trees before a horrid memory of Casey's body hanging from one made her quickly look away.

"You okay?" Randy whispered out from beside her. Nova glanced over to him before she shrugged. She didn't know how she felt. She just felt empty. She began to pick at her finger nails before another students entered the classroom. They handed a note to the teacher as everyone fell silent. Her sympathetic look landed on Nova.

"Nova. It's your turn," She explained apologetically as Nova hesitantly nodded. She quickly gathered up her stuff as she felt eyes on her. She understood their curiosity but it made her angry. Angry that she had been put in this situation. But angry that the killer had got away and not been brought to justice. She quickly made her way out of the classroom and began the journey to face judgement.

                          ||☏︎||

Nova hesitated as she slowly rounded the doorway

Nova hesitated as she slowly rounded the doorway. The conversation was abruptly stopped as all eyes fell on her. She glanced down to the floor momentarily but jumped when she felt Mr Himbry's hand on her shoulder.

"Nova Prescott," He greeted with a small smile as he ushered her inside. She sent him an awkward smile as she took a seat across from the officers. Their eyes watching her. She nodded at them both.

"Sheriff Burke. Deputy Riley," Nova greeted. Dewey sent Nova a suprised smile as she used his official name. But Nova just didn't want to be corrected. She felt tired and out of energy. The sheriff nodded as his eyes narrowed on Nova. She felt uncomfortable but gave a neutral look. After all, she hadn't killed anybody.

"How's your dad?" Sheriff Burke asked nicely as if that was going to get Nova to open up. Nova raised an eyebrow but shrugged.

"He's getting there," She answered as she bit her tongue. If she was honest, she didn't know how he was doing. He shut himself off when her mother died. Always going on buisness trips. He would avoid both his daughters at all costs. Nova, not as much as Sidney.

"That's good. I'm sorry I have to ask you these questions after what you went through last night. But it's protercall," The sheriff explained as Nova nodded. She thought she knew the general questions so she let the questioning begin.

"Did you know Casey Becker or Steve Orth?" Sheriff Burke asked but everyone in the room knew the answer. Casey and Nova had been attached to the hip since birth. Nova nodded as she tried to keep her wild emotions at bay.

"I knew Casey since I was a baby. I only knew Steve when he became Casey's boyfriend and around school," She replied truthfully as Dewey began jotting it down. She wondered what they were thinking.

"Did you and Casey ever get into any fights?" Sheriff Burke suddenly asked as Nova narrowed her eyes at him. She was caught off guard by the question as she shrugged.

"Only over little things like what movies to watch or clothes. I usually let her win because I'd feel bad," Nove revealed as the Sheriff glanced to Dewey who continued to write her answers. She caught their gaze as she narrowed her eyes.

"You think I killed her?" Nova suddenly asked as the Sheriff glanced to Himbry. The sheriff sighed.

"We're just trying to connect dots," The sheriff concluded as Nova nodded. She suddenly sat up as she pulled her bag towards her.

"And what a great job your doing!" She exclaimed sarcastically as she stood up. The men in the room were caught off guard as they too stood up.

"Now if you'd just wait a moment," The sheriff tried to reason but Nova made her way towards the door. She turned to them with an annoyed scowl.

"Perhaps actually get off your asses and find Casey's killer. Instead of pointing it at random kids while the killer is running lose in a town you swore to protect!" She exclaimed annoyed as she stormed out of the room. She heard calls of her name but she continued her journey back to class. Although she scrapped that because the bell had just rung.

                         ||☏︎||

Nova was soon joined by Billy on the corridor

Nova was soon joined by Billy on the corridor. She avoided his gaze whilst he glared at anyone who even looked her way. Their gazes snapping away when they met Billy's. Nova let out a sigh and Billy's attention snapped towards her.

"How did questioning go?" Billy asked softly as Nova glanced towards him. No student even dared to get in their way as they made their way down the long, narrow corridors. Nova was grateful for it.

"Shit! They tried to conclude that I was the killer," Nova muttered out as she brushed her hair out of her face. Billy's eyes went wide as he soon pulled her by her waist towards the side. She let out a little yelp as she fell into his chest. Billy didn't seem to mind as his gaze burnt at the office.

"Billy wha-"

"I'm gonna kill them!" Billy bit out. Nova's eyes widened as she was caught off-guard by the behavior. She knew Billy had a quick temper but she had never seen him like this before.

"Billy!" She scolded. His eyes softened slightly as he glanced down to her. She rubbed his arm softly as she tried to calm him down. It seemed to work. Her touch was like honey to him. He only wanted more of it but he had to contain those urges.

"Anyone says anything to you, you tell me! You come to me!" He stated harshly as Nova quickly nodded. She didn't understand where this was coming from but knew it was better to just agree. Billy nodded as he pulled them back to walking. Nova didn't understand what had just happened. Billy had been protective but never this protective. It sent chills down her spine but yet she didn't pull away. It gave her an odd sense of comfort and security.

Was it a bad thing that she wanted it?