16| 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐜𝐜𝐮𝐬𝐞𝐝

Nova lay on her stomach on her bed as she flicked through her magazine. She loved looking at all the fashion designs. Billy and Stu often teased her for being a 'girly girl' but she couldn't help it. Her mind wondered about them both. She knew it was bad but she couldn't help it. Every time she spoke to them it was like being on cloud nine. She could be herself and nothing she said would be judged. She could joke and laugh. But they were Sidney's and Tatum's boyfriends. Nova couldn't do that to them.

The shrill of the phone made her roll her eyes. She hoped Sidney hadn't snitched to her dad about her findings. It wasn't exactly a conversation she wanted to have on the phone. She let out a small groan as she rolled over. She shook of the paranoia and quickly grabbed the phone.

"Hello?" She asked sweetly. She prayed it wasn't the killer or some prank call. She didn't want to deal with those when her day had been going so great minus the fight with Sidney.

"𝐇𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐨, 𝐝𝐨𝐥𝐥," A deep voice replied back. Nova let out a small sigh. Why did he have to call her now? She slowly sat back down on her bed as she rested her back against the many pillows on her bed.

"What do you want?" She asked softly as she glanced around her room. It was dark outside. She cursed herself for forgetting to close her curtains. It was a mistake that she was likely to not do again.

"𝐂𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐰𝐞 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐤?" The killer asked in a soft voice. Nova let out a sigh. She had nothing better to do. Maybe they would explain what their intentions were but that was just plain optimism.

"I don't have anything better to do," She trailed off.

"𝐒𝐞𝐞𝐦𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐯𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐝 𝐚 𝐛𝐮𝐬𝐲 𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐤," The killer stated as she let out an airy laugh.

"Seems you haven't," She rebutted. The killer hadn't killed again since Casey. It had been a couple of days since then. Nova wondered why they hadn't.

"𝐇𝐮𝐡. 𝐖𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐥𝐞𝐭'𝐬 𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐤 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐍𝐨𝐯𝐚?" The killer questioned although it was more of a demand. Nova raised an eyebrow as she shrugged.

"What about me?" Nova replied back. She wondered if the killer was watching her now. They probably were. It was probably stupid to even talk to the killer but Nova found herself feeling comfortable. Too comfortbale.

"𝐖𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐧'𝐬 𝐝𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐫," The killer expanded as Nova nodded. She wasn't. Part of her was glad. She knew who Mareen was, what people knew her for. It wasn't exactly something you wanted to be related to.

"How do you know?" Nova asked. She wanted to know where the killer got their information. Where they always watching her?

"𝐈 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐍𝐨𝐯𝐚," The killer explained as if it was obvious. Nova slowly sat up as she glanced around her room. It was quiet. Too quiet.

"𝐓𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐦𝐞 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠. 𝐖𝐡𝐨 𝐝𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐈'𝐦 𝐠𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐧𝐞𝐱𝐭?"

Nova furrowed her eyebrows. They were really asking her that?

"How would I eve-"

There was a loud crash as Nova's eyes widened. The caller quickly hung up as Nova flung out of her bed. She wrapped her hand around her door handle but the door wouldn't budge. She threw herself against it as she heard Sidney scream.

"Shit!" She cursed as she continued to try and open the door. The call was a distraction. The killer was after Sidney and Nova was helplessly trapped in her room. She glanced around her room as she heard a thud on the stairs. Her brown eyes latched onto her desk chair. She let out a sigh. This better work.

                          ||☏︎||

Nova looked between both sides of her door

Nova looked between both sides of her door. The stairs were a mess. Broken glass and dirt were spotted on the wooden floorboards. Nova was about to call Sidney's name before her door flung open and she rushed past her in a hurry. Nova furrowed her eyebrows as she watched Sidney rush towards the front door.

"Sid!" A voice called. Nova's head turned and snapped towards Billy. He looked regretful in this moment as his eyes met Nova. He quickly glanced over her to check for injuries but there were none.

"B, what's going on?" Nova asked softly. Billy almost went weak at the old nickname. The moment was ruined though as police burst through the door. Billy was soon dragged down as Nova struggled in the police officers hold.

"Billy! He didn't do anything!" She called out as the police tried to calm her down. She shook her head. She couldn't believe what was happening. Billy had been accused of a crime he hadn't done. She held her breath as she quickly rushed down the stairs. She ignored the officers calls for her as she quickly exited the Prescott residency.

"That him?" Sherrif Burke asked. Nova's eyes widened as she watched Billy be harshly pushed against the hood of a police car. His dark eyes caught hers as she tried to get to him but was held back by Dewey.

"He didn't do anything!" Nova shouted out. She felt hopeless. She had to watch one of the only people she had get taken away. She felt sad and angry. Billy was shoved into the police car but his gaze never left Nova's. She shoved Dewey away from her lightly as she let out a harsh breath.

"Why?" She asked as she turned to Dewey and Sheriff Burke. The two watched with a mix of pity. It was clear that Nova didn't know what Sidney had told them.

"He was at the scene," Sheriff Burke stated as Nova glared at him. There was a spark hidden behind her eyes that no one had seen before. It even made the Sheriff take a step back.

"He's Sidney's boyfriend!" Nova exclaimed as if it was obvious. Dewey patted her shoulder as he carefully led her to the ambulance. Her eyes fell on Sidney who just stared at the floor. She looked numb and pale but Nova could only think about Billy. He was an innocent man, just like Cotton Weary. Sidney obviously had a thing for accusing people of murder.

"What did you tell them!?" Nova hissed out as Sidney quickly looked up to her. She was caught off-guard by the harshness of her tone. Nova shook her head quickly as she let an annoyed huff. She shoved past the officers as she went back in the house. She quickly grabbed the house phone and dialed a familiar number.

"Hello?" A male voice asked. He sounded tired. Nova would apologize for waking him under different circumstance but it was better if he knew now.

"Stu, Billy's been arrested."