Ch.5 Because of You

Matthew flew to Canada a week before high school started. Everyone went to the airport to see him off. A few tears were inevitable, but they sincerely wished him all the best as he was ready to start a new chapter of his life and said their last goodbye with a smile.

It was the first day of high school. The thought of being in a new school was making Hanbin a bit nervous but also very excited at the same time. In order for Hanbin to get to school, he would have to go past Eunbyeol's home, so they decided to walk to school together.

Hanbin texted Eunbyeol to tell her he was at the door, and she came out in no time.

"Good morning, Byeol. That was quick."

"I was already ready, just waiting for you."

"You look great in the new uniform."

"You too. I wonder just how many girls in high school are going to fall for THE SUNG HANBIN."

"What are you talking about? Let's go. We don't want to be late on the first day." Hanbin held her hand as they walked to school. "Are you nervous about the first day?"

"Yeah, I hope I get in the same class with either you, Yuna, Chaeyeon, or Gyuvin. Meeting new people still kinda stresses me out."

"You will be fine. Who knows? Maybe we will be in the same class again."

"Won't you get tired of me?"

"Ya, does that mean that you are getting tired of me?"

"That's not what I meant. But you would want to meet new people, right?"

"I do want to meet new people, but it's not like they can ever replace you. You are and always will be my best friend, Byeol. Remember I promised you that I would always be here when you needed me? You will always be my first priority. Trust in me, okay?"

She gave him a slight nod, but Hanbin could still feel that she was insecure about the change in environment.

As soon as they arrived at school, they headed to the bulletin board in the lobby to check which class they were in.

"Bin-ah, can you check mine as well? I'm too nervous to look..." Eunbyeol stood behind Hanbin.

"Okay, let's see...." His hand was still holding tightly onto Eunbyeol's while he scanned through the name list. "Found you. Park Eunbyeol... Class 1-2. Now... Sung Hanbin..."

Eunbyeol took a deep breath as Hanbin looked for his name on the list, and her grip on Hanbin's hand tightened unknowingly.

"Class 1-... Oh my gosh, Byeol, we are in the same class!" Hanbin jumped out of excitement and turned to Eunbyeol with the brightest smile on his face.

"Should we see which class Gyuvin, Yuna, and Chaeyeon are in as well?" Eunbyeol returned a smile, feeling the greatest sense of relief.

"Oh yeah, good idea." Hanbin checked the list again. "Yuna is in Class 1-3."

"Oh, Chaeyeon is in Class 1-3 too." Eunbyeol, who was looking for Chaeyeon's name, reported.

"And Gyuvin.... Oh, he's in the same class as us."

"That's great. I feel slightly more at ease now, knowing that I know two people in our class at the very least."

Hanbin and Eunbyeol then went to their classroom. They were quite early, so there still weren't a lot of people in the classroom. They sat down in the second-last seats of the two rows next to the window and saved the seat behind Eunbyeol for Gyuvin.

"Annyeong. Park Eunbyeol, right? Nice to meet you. I'm your seatmate, Sung Hanbin." Hanbin suddenly reached out to shake hands with Eunbyeol.

"Nice to meet you, Sung Hanbin. Please watch over me."