Ch.2 A Boy's Love

"Hanbin, are you still considering applying to an Arts High School?" Hao brought up the topic of high schools one day at lunch.

"I'm still contemplating."

"Me, Hao, and Ricky are going to the open day of the High School of Performing Arts this weekend. Do you want to come with us?" Taerae suggested. "Getting a glimpse of the campus and being able to talk to the people will hopefully help you make a more well-informed decision."

"That sounds good."

Eunbyeol was sitting right next to Hanbin and listened to the whole conversation.

They were in their last year of middle school and would soon begin their application process for high school. Taerae, Hao, and Ricky were certain that they wanted to go to an Arts High School to pursue either music or art. The rest of the group would likely be applying to Goyang High School, a general high school in the neighbourhood. Hanbin was the only one who hadn't made up his mind. He was tempted to pursue dancing at an Arts High School, but it also seemed like he had other concerns that were holding him back.

If Eunbyeol was being honest, she didn't want Hanbin to go to an Arts High School. The mere thought of not having Hanbin by her side for the coming three years was enough to make her anxious, but at the same time, she fully supported him in pursuing his dreams. Hence, she had been avoiding the conversation about high schools with Hanbin. She didn't want to affect his decision with her selfish motives, and she also knew it would be hard for her to offer him impartial advice.

.

That night, after Hanbin went to the open day with Hao, Ricky, and Taerae, he called Eunbyeol to talk about his day.

"Byeol-ah, you still haven't said anything about this. Do you think I should go to an Arts High School?"

"Did you like the school?"

"Yes, it was nice. They have nice facilities and seem experienced in the education of performing arts."

"What is stopping you then? It sounds like an easy decision."

"Well... I'm still not 100% sure what I want to do with dancing. I feel like putting my main focus on my studies for now would keep my options open, especially when I'm not too bad at studying."

"What are you talking about? You are obviously amazing at it."

"That's why I really don't know. I mean there are plenty of opportunities outside of school that will allow me to pursue dancing, and I have plans to join a dance crew anyway. Also..."

"Also what?"

'Also, I want to go to the same school as you'  was what Hanbin wanted to say.

Obviously, they could still see each other even if they went to different high schools, but it would just feel different. All the things that they do together in school on a daily basis, they wouldn't be able to do. Hanbin was so used to having Eunbyeol around all the time that he probably wouldn't even get used to being in a different class from her, not to mention different schools. In fact, Hanbin knew that Eunbyeol had been refraining from talking to him about high schools because she didn't want to affect his decision in any way; she wanted him to make a decision purely for himself and his future. But he had to admit that it would be impossible for him to disregard Eunbyeol as a factor to consider.

"Also... that school is pretty far away. I would have to spend a lot of time commuting if I went there."

"That really shouldn't be what's bothering you."

"I know, I'm just saying. Do you think I should go, Byeol?"

"Well, if the question is whether you should go, only you can answer that. No one but yourself knows what's best for you."