Ch.26 Heartless (Part 1)

"Thank you for keeping your promise and being here for me." Jiwoong walked towards Eunbyeol once the prize presentation ceremony was over.

"You're more than welcome. I'm glad I witnessed such an exciting match. And congratulations on winning! So is the next step the national team tryout?"

Jiwoong nodded.

"Wow, I'm actually going to have a friend who's a national team athlete."

"It's too early to say that. National team tryouts are very competitive, and it's extremely hard to get in."

"It will be their loss and a waste of talent if you don't get in. I believe in you, Jiwoong."

"Thank you, Eunbyeol."

"I've got to get going now."

"Want to grab dinner together?"

"I'm sorry, I have urgent issues to handle between me and Hanbin."

"Don't worry. I understand. Good luck with that." He smiled despite being disappointed.

"Thanks. I'll make sure to have a congratulatory meal with you sometime soon." Their conversation was interrupted by the ringing of Eunbyeol's phone. "Excuse me for a second; my brother's calling me. Hey, Wook-ah?"

"Noona, where are you now?"

"The match just finished. I was just planning to leave."

"Do you think you can buy dinner for us? Eomma got really sick. We don't know if it's the flu or what, but she's having a high fever."

"Oh no! Okay, I'll buy food on my way back. Take good care of Eomma, and call again if she needs anything else."

"Okay, see you later."

"Is something wrong?" Jiwoong asked out of concern as soon as Eunbyeol ended her call.

"My mum got really sick, so I'll have to go back home now."

"Oh no, I hope she gets better soon."

"Thanks. I'll talk to you later." Eunbyeol then left in a hurry.

Mrs. Park's fever wouldn't go away that night. Mr. Park got worried and took her to the hospital. Eunbyeol went with them in case her father needed help, while Gunwook stayed home. Eunbyeol barely got any sleep as a result of getting in and out of the hospital the entire night. When they got home from the hospital, the sun was already out. Eunbyeol took a short nap on the couch until she was woken up by the sound of Gunwook walking down the stairs.

"Gunwook-ah, good morning." Eunbyeol squinted her tired, sunken eyes and pushed herself to sit upright.

"Sorry, Noona. Did I wake you up?"

"No, don't worry. I wasn't trying to sleep for long anyway."

"Why don't you go and sleep in your room?"

"I have to go out. *Achoo* I still haven't talked to Hanbin."

"You look like you need some rest, though. I'm sure Hanbin Hyung can wait for a while."

"No, we've waited for too long. It's better to talk things through as soon as possible. I kept prioritising other things over him."

Eunbyeol checked on Mrs. Park, who was feeling much better after receiving an IV drip at the hospital last night. Then she headed out to Hanbin's home. When she got there, Yujin opened the door for her.

"Eunbyeol Noona, good morning!"

"Good morning, Yujin-ah."

"Are you here for Hyung?"