Ch.23 So Close, Yet So Far

"How was lunch with Hanbin?" Sukyung nudged Seolah's shoulder with a teasing smirk.

"Amazing." Seolah grinned cockily. "He even asked if I wanted to study with him on Sunday."

"Really?" Sukyung's brows rose.

"I was going to take things slowly. But first, he said yes to lunch, and then he asked me out. I'm a fool if I can't take the hint."

"Wow, I wasn't expecting things to develop this way."

"Ya, what does that mean?"

"I wasn't the only one who thought Hanbin and Eunbyeol were a thing."

"I still don't understand what Jiwoong likes about Park Eunbyeol," Seolah sneered. "But at least she's not in the way anymore."

.

Eunbyeol could feel that Hanbin had been avoiding spending time with her. They tutored their brothers at her home on Friday, but he left right after tutoring ended, and only Yujin stayed for dinner. He hadn't been helping out at the cafe during the cafe either. Eunbyeol felt helplessness and frustration growing as she still didn't understand the situation. Exams were right around the corner, but Hanbin was all Eunbyeol could think of.

"Noona!" Yujin waved his hand in front of Eunbyeol, whose mind had obviously drifted away. "Noona!"

"Yes, Yujin?" Eunbyeol was brought back to reality.

"An iced mocha and two iced americanos."

"Got it." She immediately got to work at the drinks station.

"Are you okay? You can take a break if you want to."

"I'm fine, Yujinnie."

The door opened. Eunbyeol looked up as she heard the voice she had missed.

"This is Yujin, my brother." Hanbin introduced Yujin to the girl next to him.

"Oh, annyeong Yujin-ah." Seolah sweetly waved her hand. "Your brother is so cute, Hanbin."

"Annyeonghaseyo." Yujin greeted her just to be polite.

"And this is my mother." Hanbin went on to introduce Seolah to his mother, who was also behind the counter.

"Annyeonghaseyo, Eomeonim. I'm Seolah, Hanbin's classmate. I was wondering how both Hanbin and Yujin are so good-looking. Now that I've met their beautiful mother, I know why."

"That's very sweet of you, Seolah. Do you need anything to eat or drink?"

"I'll handle that, Eomma."

"Okay, I'll leave you two to it. It was nice to meet you, Seolah."

"It was very nice to meet you too, Eomeonim." Seolah had her hands one on top of the other respectfully.

Hanbin went behind the counter and started making drinks for himself and Seolah. Even when Eunbyeol kept staring at him, he didn't spare a single glance at her, not even a 'hey, Byeol'. Eunbyeol tried to say something, but words were stuck in her throat. She felt an invisible wall between her and Hanbin.

"Yujin-ah, can you heat up two croffles for me, please?" Hanbin asked his brother for a favour, but Yujin acted like he didn't hear Hanbin.

"Ya, Sung Yujin!" Hanbin called out again.

"I think you can do that yourself." Yujin reluctantly turned around.

"We are having a talk when we get back home," Hanbin said grimly.

Yujin rolled his eyes at Hanbin.

Meanwhile, Eunbyeol was feeling this piercing ache in her chest that wouldn't go away. He was all smiley with Seolah but acted as if she wasn't there. He seemed completely unbothered by the current situation between him and her and was just enjoying his time with Seolah. Her shift had never felt so long.