A Break

The italics are flashbacks to the Human Nature/Family of blood episodes.

Celeste walks into the kitchen, a small smile on her face as she sees Martha already there, making a cup of tea. The companion looks up, guilt flooding her system as she looks into the kind eyes of the Time Lord's bonded.

"I'm going, don't worry." A small laugh leaves Celeste at Martha's panicked and rushed words. Her Time Lord's really must have scared the human, if she was barely able to be in the same room as her.

"I'm not angry at you Martha, a bit disappointed, yes, but not angry." Despite Celeste's tone being light and calm, Martha couldn't help but feel a sense of dread wash over her. Disappointed was much worse than angry.

"I'm sorry Shay, I really am." The Shadow just smiled, nodding her head as she finished making her coffee.

"I know you are."

********************************

In the Doctor's room, Joan tends to the back of the Doctor's head. Alfie sat on a chair nearby, watching the two with observing eyes.

"Stop it." Joan admonished the Doctor when he winced and batted her hand away. "I get boys causing less fuss than this."

"Because it hurts." Alfie hid a smile at the barely contained whine in the Doctor's voice, his brother really was amusing sometimes.

A loud commotion of Martha bursting in disturbs the trio, Alfie and the Doctor giving their companion a warm friendly smile.

"Is he all right?" Martha's tone was rushed, fearful for the man she was supposed to look after from a distance. She returned Alfie's smile, still surprised at the difference in his behaviour since he became human.

"Excuse me, Martha. It's hardly good form to enter a master's study without knocking."

"Nurse Redfern, it's fine. Martha is just concerned." At Alfie's gentle but firm words, Joan nodded her head and continued tending to the Doctor. "John took a tumble down the stairs but thankfully didn't injure himself too badly."

Martha thought she felt grey hairs forming, knowing that Celeste would murder her if she found out the accidents her boyfriend kept on having.

"I was just telling Nurse Redfern, Matron, about my dreams. They are quite remarkable tales. I keep imagining that I'm someone else, that Alfie and I are hiding." The Doctor spoke animatedly, a smile on his face. Alfie's gaze moved to a couple of drawings of a woman on his brother's desk, eyes focused on the beautiful brunette.