Act II: Scene 5

TW: Abuse, violence

5:23 AM
The morning of results day

Cole knew the results of the mock exam before anyone else did. He knew he lost the bet with Y/n by a simple phone call he had yet to answer. He stared at the name of the caller. It was his father's secretary. There's only one reason she'd even be calling him at all. His father was unhappy. Reluctantly he answered.

"Good morning, your father requests your presence in his office immediately" She said monotonously, hanging up before Cole can even speak. A sense of dread filled Cole. He reluctantly got out of bed and got dressed and washed up, leaving the house without the rest of the student council waking up. Cole walked towards the empty school, the sun slowly rising. Cole felt a chill run down his spine and it wasn't from the chill in the early morning air.

Cole walking into the empty school building, it was cold inside too, the caretakers hadn't even turned on the heaters it was so early in the morning. Cole made his way to the third floor to his father's office, his secretary outside waiting for him. "He's inside waiting" she announced before leaving. Cole watched her leave, it was understandable she left. Cole didn't want to deal with this.

Cole knocked on the door before entering. "You wanted to see me father" Cole said, not letting his face give him away. His father was sat at his desk, writing something, not even looking up at Cole or acknowledging him. His father was in his sixties, with greying dark hair that was slicked back neatly, his suit was freshly pressed. Everything about this man was immaculate, everything Cole was not.

"Can you please explain to me why you scored lower on the mock exams than a scholarship student no less?" Cole's father asked. It was a trick question, his father did not care for Cole's answer. "I'm sorry father, it was a mistake on my part, it won't happen again" Cole said, he knew what was coming. "Eadges do not make mistakes" Cole's father said, glaring at his son. "Please allow me to ensure it never happens again" Cole said, not breaking his gaze with his father.

"You won't need to ensure, I will see to it myself, since you cannot be trusted" Cole's father said standing up and glaring at him. Cole's father grabbed his cane. He didn't have any mobility issues. The cane was to make a point.

Cole's father walked towards him and Cole took a deep breath. He knew what was coming. He experienced it countless times before. "You're a pathetic stain on the Eadge name" his father reminded. Cole heard these words so many times before, it still hurts as much as it did the first time he heard those words at the age of four.

Cole's father raised his cane, hitting it against Cole's side with tremendous force, knocking Cole to the ground, his father began kicking his stomach with his pointed shoes. Cole tried his best not to react, tears stinging his eyes. Any noises or reaction he made would only warrant more abuse off the man. He learnt that the hard way at the age of six.

"Think about how you've disappointed me" His father said after ten minutes of this, kicking his son one last time before leaving his office. Cole stared at the ceiling of the office. Wondering where it all went wrong. Cole began to trace back through the recent events of his life. Everything was going perfectly until he met... Y/n

Y/n
Y/n, Y/n
Y/n, Y/n, Y/n
Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n
Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n
Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/nY/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/nY/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n, Y/n

Cole gritted his teeth as hot tears stung the corners of his eyes. When Y/n first appeared she threw every planned detail of Cole's life out of course. He should of seen it coming. She was a flaw in his perfectly meticulous and planned life. An anomaly that needed to be corrected. And he would correct it.

It was his purpose in life to fit the frame his father had given him perfectly. And yet, Y/n had destroyed the master piece he was creating. He would never forgive Y/n for that. The sweet moment they shared together on the roof immedietly soured. He felt disgusted. He needed to get rid of Y/n.

Cole slowly sat up from the ground. Whincing at the pain. Cole fished his phone from out of his pocket. Miracously it wasn't even cracked. Cole unlocked it, scrolling through the contact list until he paused at a name.

"The sky is so pretty"

Y/n's words from a few days earlier, when they were skipping class on the roof suddenly rang through his mind. Cole hesitated. Y/n was flawed, careless and too unpredictable... but she filled Cole with a warmth that he longed for more of. She was unexplainable...

Cole banished the thoughts from his mind as quickly as they came. Strengthening his resolve he dialed the number, one he'd never thought he'd ring. He was going to rid himself of all imperfections, starting with getting rid of Y/n, the source. And finally make his father proud.

"I need someone taken care of"