Chapter 12

PENELOPE'S POINT OF VIEW.

I put my bag on the floor as I sat on the sofa. I am now in my room. My body feels heavy, and I am so tired from today. First day of school palang pero parang ayaw ko ng pumasok bukas. Wala namang gaanong ginawa sa school pero pagod na pagod ako, 'yun na nga ata siguro.

Si Manong Eddy ang nag sundo sa'min ni Phoebe sa school and because of what happened earlier—though sanay naman akong hindi kami nagpapansinan o nag-uusap, pero kanina?

That was the most awkward moment of my life. That was the first time I felt awkward in my whole life in this world. Hindi ko alam ang dapat kong gawin o i-react kanina pero alam ko sa sarili ko na hindi ko palalagpasin ang nangyari ngayong araw. Alam kong ramdam 'din ni Manong Eddy ang awkwardness inside of the car habang nagmamaneho siya, hindi siya manhid.

I look at the door when someone knocks on it.

"Miss. Penelope, nandito na po ang lunch nyo."

"It's open." may kalakasang sigaw ko para marinig ni Susan. She opens the door, walks inside, and puts the food tray on the coffee table. Susan and I both turn to the door when Phoebe walks inside my room, looking worried and stressed.

"They're here," she says, uneasy. I stare at her because I used to see her face straight, like you couldn't analyze and figure out what she really felt, but this time? I can read what she's feeling right now and what emotions she has right now. Pathetic.

"So?" I ask. Phoebe looks at Susan. Susan bows and walks outside of the room. Phoebe closes the door. She faces me, nervous.

"They can't see you. They can't know that we were siblings."

"Why's that?" my eyebrows narrow.

"Because they can't!" pabulong ngunit pasigaw na sabi niya, napabuntong hininga ako.

"Alright. I will not leave my room." sabi ko na lamang. Aware naman ako na lalong lalala ang gagawin nila sa kanya kapag nalaman nilang magkapatid kami dahil sa nangyari kanina.

"Cool. No matter what happens, do not open the door."

"What can I get in return?" I ask, and she stops and looks at me, confused.

"What do you mean by that?"

"There's nothing free anymore." I shrug, and she takes a deep breath loudly.

"Let's talk after they go home." she held the doorknob, but bago pa niya mabuksan ang pinto, nagsalita ako.

"You know what will happen if mom and dad find this out," I say. She stares at me.

"I know, so shut up," she says, opens the door, and closes it as she walks away.

I lean my back against the sofa and stare at the ceiling. Things are getting interesting. I hope mom and dad go home early.

PHOEBE'S POINT OF VIEW.

Shit, shit, shit! I close my eyes and start to meditate. I breathe in and out to release my worries and nervousness. I pick up my phone from my skirt when it rings. I see Taylor's name on the screen. I bite my lower lip, and I can see how my hands are shaking. I swipe the screen to answer her call.

"Why did you hang up? Your people cannot let us in, where the fuck are you?" she say. I could feel the impatience in her voice. I take a deep breath before I say a word.

"Let me talk to the guard."

"Alright," she says.

"Here, talk to your boss," I hear Taylor say.