Chapter 27

PENELOPE'S POINT OF VIEW.

"Dad!" Peony shouts as she runs towards the person who comes inside our room. The man immediately smiles when he sees Peony and they hug each other.

I look away from them and look outside the window.

Ilang minuto na ang lumipas nang matapos ang klase namin and today is the PTA meeting of our class. I forgot to tell my parents yesterday that they had to attend a meeting in the school. Nabanggit ni Peony pagkapasok ko ng room na kung sino ang aattend sa akin sa PTA meeting at doon ko na realize na nalimutan ko silang sabihan. I already called Mr. and Mrs. Ynares kaninang umaga pa. Mrs. Ynares is busy and can't leave her job while Mr. Ynares told me that he will try to come. Try? When someone says they will try that is the other polite way to say that they can't.

"Pen."

Naibaling ko ang tingin ko nang tawagin ako ni Peony at nakitang nakayo sila ng daddy niya sa gilid ko, kapwa mga nakangiti sa akin. I stand up to face them

"Dad, this is Penelope, the one I'm always talking about." Pagpapakilala ni Peony sa akin.

"She's my best friend." Peony added excitedly.

"Hi, Penelope. Nice to finally meet you. Thank you for being the best friend of my daughter," he says. He extends his hand for a handshake, which I accept.

"No worries, sir," I say, smiling.

"Sir? Call me tito nalang, you're too polite."

"Okay po, Tito."

"Much better. You both have the same nickname. We also call her Pen."

Mahinang natawa si Peony.

Tumango-tango ako.

"She didn't know about that dad. Why did you tell her?"

Her dad and I laugh.

Napataas ang dalawang kilay ko nang mag ring ang cellphone ko na nasa bulsa ng aking palda. I excuse myself from them and distance myself a bit from them when I see Dad's name on the screen.

"Honey?"

"Yes, dad? Are you now on your way?" I ask.

Saglit natahimik ang kabilang linya.

"Honey, your Tito Levi will be the one to attend the PTA meeting of your class because I can't leave here yet."

"Oh',"

"Okay, I added.

"I'm going to hang up the call now for you to call your Tito and tell him your section. Pagpasensyahan mo na ang daddy anak."

I nod.

"It's okay dad, bye."

"Bye, Honey, take care," he says, ending the call.

As the call ended. I see a new text message in the inbox, so I open it and see that it is from Levi. I called him when I read that he was already in the parking lot of the school.

"I'll pick you up." I say and end the call right away without giving him a chance to talk.

Napalingon ako kay Peony na nasa likuran ko at nakatayo sa gilid ng daddy niya na nakaupo na ngayon sa upuan niya.

Napalingon sakin si Peony.

"Sino a-attend sayo?"

"My tito. He's now in the parking lot. I have to go." I say.

I'm about to walk when Peony wraps her arm around my other arm.

"Dad, samahan ko lang po siya."

"Alright, ingat kayo anak." He says, smiling.