TEN

ꜱᴘᴏᴛɪꜰʏ ᴘʟᴀʏʟɪꜱᴛ ʟɪɴᴋᴇᴅ ɪɴ ʙɪᴏ

D A V I N A

The rain hammered down, tapping against the window of my dormitory, leaving raindrops bleeding down the glass. Nothing is better than waking up on a Saturday morning to the sound of rain. I got out of bed and opened the curtains, revealing an opaque sky and looming gray clouds, and wind rousing the trees into a vortex of chaotic dance.

A wild part of me wanted to go out there—to feel the rain droplets on my skin and feel the wind in my hair.

I decide I better not. I don't want the students to think I'm a weirdo as well as a whore. Instead, I glance at the clock on my desk and the time reads 11.37 am. I have been in and out of a restless sleep. I thought that I could sleep away my time here but when I heard the rain, I decided I no longer wanted to waste away  in bed.

I changed into a pair of leggings and a dark gray sweater which is too big for me. I am used to my clothes not fitting and growing up I never had the privilege of buying new clothes when I needed them. When I was desperate I'd use the money that would have been for food, to buy some clothes from the second-hand shops instead. I'd lose a meal for a pair of jeans but I never had much of a choice.

I wasn't sure whether to cry or laugh at how pathetic that sounded. Sometimes I'd steal the jumpers and hoodies from the men I slept with too. Christ—I shoved the ache in my chest away and looked out the window again, the rain always took my mind off things. 

The more I look at the rain, the more I want to go out there. It's dark and beautiful, it almost looks like it should be the evening but it's barely the afternoon. Pansy told me on Saturdays we can do what we like as long as we remain on the school grounds, which seemed awfully like giving a bunch of criminals and freaks too much freedom. Considering this is technically a prison in some sort of way.

I wonder if anyone has ever attempted an escape? The high fences and guards with guns would make it a difficult task and I remembered Stevey telling me I would have no chance at escaping.

Deciding I had nothing to lose, I put on my shoes and the raincoat the school generously provided and made my way out. Not to escape, just to feel the rain on my skin and feel like I actually existed.

The rain was a pleasant splatter against my skin as I walked aimlessly down to the trees at the bottom of the hill. To my surprise, a few other students walked the grounds of the school or found seating under shelters of trees or arches of the castle.

But no one walked out in the rain as peacefully as I did. Where others ran, trying to escape the downpour of rain, I embraced it. I enjoyed the cool droplets of rain running down my cheeks and feeling my clothes dampen. I probably look like a psychopath but I am more than used to people having opinions about me or talking shit behind my back.

A crack of thunder rumbled the clouds and with squinted eyes, I looked up to the sky. Rain hammered down on me and I picked up the pace as more cracks of thunder echoed high above.

Once I reached the treeline, the thicket of the forest ahead of me, I inhaled deeply and smelled the strong smell of a rainy forest. The mossy floor beneath me was soggy as I took a slow walk into the woods. The sound of rain filled my ears, it was nothing but peaceful white noise and for the first time in a while, I felt content.