TWENTY SEVEN

ꜱᴘᴏᴛɪꜰʏ ᴘʟᴀʏʟɪꜱᴛ ʟɪɴᴋᴇᴅ ɪɴ ʙɪᴏ

D A V I N A

Throughout my last nineteen years of life, I have committed many sins and I am now attending a school for criminals as my consequence. This school is not just a punishment but also a place where I am supposed to learn how to be a good, normal citizen. But how am I supposed to do that when I am being taunted and teased by two masked killers and being outcasted by a group of teenagers like we're still in high school and having sexual desires for the school loner?

I released a sigh as I rested my back against a shaded tree in the courtyard, under the darkening sky.

It had been two days since Draco and I kissed and I hadn't spoken to him since. I was avoiding him. Or he was avoiding me. Or both. But I haven't been able to stop thinking about the kiss. About how good it had felt to kiss him in the shadows of the school. I can still feel his soft lips on my neck and his eager and tough hands on my body. Hear the deep growls coming from his chest, he was like an animal—I could only imagine what he was like in bed.

I closed my eyes, wishing I could condemn him to the forgotten place of my mind.

I can't stop thinking about him. Just like I can't stop seeing Montague's dead body or hear his screams as I watched him be murdered.

Classes had been cancelled yesterday and today was back to normal but nothing felt normal at all. Dinner was in five minutes and I watched students making their way to the Great Hall. I should be heading there too, especially if I wanted to be able to find a place to sit, but I had no appetite. Constantly seeing Montague's dead corpse in my mind made me feel unwell.

I turned my head and caught a glimpse of that hidden church in the woods, the tall cross peaking above the tree line. And then I found myself walking toward it.

— ♱ —

The forest was darkening and was shadowed in calm quiet, but occasionally a bird would flee from a brunch, rustling the leaves above me. I felt odd in these woods. I felt at ease but like I should be on alert. My body was cold and my neck ached, feeling the need to look over my shoulder every few steps. Montague life was brutally taken in under these leaves and between these trees. I wouldn't be surprised if his soul still remained, haunting, desperate for revenge.

I neared the abandoned-looking church and wondered if I had made a mistake by coming here. I wasn't exactly sure what my intentions were. I supposed I was just looking for a distraction.

The steps cracked as I walked up them and sitting on the torn and rusted bannister was a crow. The creature watched me walk up to the door and eyed me wearily as I pushed down the handle and stepped into the church.

It looked just as it had the first time I walked in here. Just as creepy. Just as alluring. And that Preist stood with his back to me at the front of the church. Atop the platform, lighting candles under the tall and long stained glass window. Chills crawled up my spine and I swallowed down my regret, closing the door behind me. The sound echoed throughout the building.

The priest, Stevey, raised his head.

I walked toward him as he turned to face me. From this distance, I couldn't tell what he thought of my presence but I could have sworn I saw his eyes widen slightly. He seemed curious. Surprised.