FIFTY TWO

ᴘᴏᴛɪʏ ᴘʟᴀʏʟɪᴛ ʟɪɴᴋᴇᴅ ɪɴ ʙɪᴏ

D A V I N A

I had no concept of time but I think it was early afternoon when I heard footsteps coming down into this cave-like hallway. My entire body tensed and my eyes became on full alert. Who could it be? The nuns? My body was curled into the wall, and I felt more like an animal than a prisoner. Surely they couldn't leave me like this?

Two footsteps, I realized. Two people were coming and the crunches of gravel became louder.

Only a small relief settled inside of me when I saw Lainey and Bo standing behind bars.

Then it turned to anger. But I was too tired, weak, and hungry to voice anything.

Lainey seemed strongly agitated as she said, "Another student was killed in the early hours of this morning."

Daphne.

"I told you it wasn't me," I said, well I mumbled weakly. My voice was so harsh.

Her lip twitched into something that looked like a scoff and a snarl.

"We are very sorry, Miss Arden, for our mistake," Bo said, "you were only meant to be in this holding cell for a few hours but we had a few issues with your witness's cooperation."

"This is far from a holding cell," I gritted out.

"Get her out!" a voice came from the Hallway, all three of our heads turned in the direction of the old, vicious voice. Harrington.

He appeared then, between the detectives, "Davina. Accept my deep apology."

Was I too tired to make sense of this or was Harrington's sudden concern confusing? There were two people behind him, nurses from the medic wing too.

Bo fiddled with the key and the pleasant sound of the key unlocking the door echoed against the walls. I'm free. I wanted to stand, to move but my limbs felt so weak. The two nurses came inside, reached for me and then I was up and all of a sudden, I felt the ground calling my name again.

So tired. I was so tired.

"I thought you two were supposed to be good at this?" I heard Harrington's voice but it sounded like I was underwater, "I hired you to find this killer and yet you put an innocent girl in the cell while the killer killed another one of my students."

"She isn't exactly innocent," Lainey spat as I sat down on something. A wheelchair, "she wouldn't be one of your students if she was innocent."

Bitch. I tried to look up at her but my head felt so heavy.

"I want you both gone by nightfall," Harrington seethed, "I will find a new investigator, one that knows how to do their job."

"Good luck," Lainey said, "this school will be massacred by the end of the month."

Tiredness overcame me and I fell into unconsciousness.

The sound of rain awoke me. Loud tapping against a window as my eyes opened. I was in the medical wing, dressed in a white hospital dress. It was dim, only lit by a few lamps and candles and the small amount of light the gray clouds allowed in.

How long have I been asleep for?

I sat up and that's when I saw Draco standing by the long window looking outside at the vicious rain splattering against the glass. Back to me and hands in his pockets. The wind screamed through the window, the glass creaking against the strength of the storm.