FORTY EIGHT

ᴘᴏᴛɪʏ ᴘʟᴀʏʟɪᴛ ʟɪɴᴋᴇᴅ ɪɴ ʙɪᴏ

D A V I N A

It was a blinding light that I saw when I awoke, before my eyes squinted, attempting to cast out the light. Then the headache greeted me. I groaned as I rolled over onto my back, raising my hands to my face to brush my hair away. I blinked rapidly, the blinding light fading as the night before replayed in my head.

I hadn't planned on getting drunk and what a mistake it was.

A deep throat cleared and I shot upright, I gasped as fear consumed me. But I turned and saw Draco slouched in my desk chair.

"I'm sorry," he said, "I didn't mean to scare you."

Jesus Christ.

"It's okay," I said as my heart began to settle, "what time is it? How long have you—"

I had so many questions. I was so confused. And I was still trying to remember the night.

Draco and I. We danced. We kissed.

"A while," he said, his words sounding distant, "I didn't want to wake you."

He had disappeared. I tried looking for him. I was too drunk. Archie. I felt his hands all over my body. Still felt them.

I felt sick.

"Where did you go?" I asked him, the break in my voice was humiliating and I had to look away from him, but I saw the guilt narrowing his eyes before I turned.

"I didn't feel good," Draco said, "I'm sorry, Davina. I shouldn't have left but I thought you would have fun with Cècilia. I didn't want to ruin your night"

I sat up straight, leaning my back against my pillow. Everything hurt and ached.

"We probably would have had fun if we didn't drink so much of that punch," I said, "I think someone spiked it."

I turned to him then, his face was a storm of anger and guilt. It was hard to be angry at him when he looked like that. So tired and disheveled.

"I think so too," he replied and then I watched him stand. He still wore his suit from last night but his tie and blazer were gone. He walked toward me and I didn't protest when he sat on the edge of my bed, his back a breath away from my bare leg. The resistance was unbearable and I moved my leg slightly so we now touched.

"You asked me to the ball, I wanted to be there with you," I said to him, his eyes on my floor, "and I would have come with you, If you were sick, I would have helped you in any way I could've. You should have told me."

"I know," he mumbled, "I'm sorry."

"It's okay," I muttered back, voice barely a whisper.

The beats of silence that passed by were strangely comforting. Blissful and calm. He was here. I was here. I could have stayed there in that silence forever.

"They found a body," Draco said, Interrupting the silence and my heart stopped, "the school killer attacked again last night."