FIFTY

ᴘᴏᴛɪʏ ᴘʟᴀʏʟɪᴛ ʟɪɴᴋᴇᴅ ɪɴ ʙɪᴏ

D A V I N A

All eyes were on me. It was just my luck that the assembly ended as Lainey and Bo walked me in the direction of The Tower. My hands cuffed behind my back and I was glad my hair was a mess, falling in front of my face. I hoped it disguised me but it was clear they all knew who I was by their voices. None of them trying to conceal their accusations.

"Told you."

"I knew it was her."

"We don't need to be afraid anymore."

I searched the crowds for Draco but he wasn't there. I caught the eyes of Ron and his friends, Harry and Hermione. Their eyes were the only ones who didn't seem full of judgment and gossip. They seemed curiously proud. And those ginger twins seemed strangely impressed. They're probably high, and this is like the coolest thing in the deep trip they might be in.

After I passed them, I kept my eyes on the ground.

"Davina!"

There he was.

Draco. I whipped my head around over my shoulder and Lainey tugged me forward.

"Shit. Fuck. Davina?" His voice yelled from somewhere behind me.

"What did she do?" Draco yelled, "It's not her. She didn't do it—"

I tried to turn around again but Lainey forced me round a corner. Leaving Draco's demands and shouting to fade away.

—♱—

They had taken  me to The Tower. Not up those winding stairs but down to the damp and dark hallway and quite literally threw me into one of the cells down there. Chills spread across my body in a cold sweat from knowing those nuns were up above me.

"This is bullshit!" I spat through the metal bars of the door as Lainey locked it shut. Fear and anger mixed into one confusing feeling inside me.

"We are only doing our job, Miss Arden," she replied in that spiteful voice as she unclasped the handcuffs around my wrists.

"I'm not the killer," I told her, "I'm not the fucking killer. I'm innocent." Not entirely true but I am not the killer.

"If you are innocent," she began, "you have nothing to worry about. We will go ahead and question Theo and Blaise and if they clear your name. You will be out of here in no time."

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. They won't. This will be their revenge.

"Does Harrington know you've thrown me in here like an animal?" I seethed the question, gripping my hands around the cold metal bars. 

"He assured us that if we ever needed a cell or two, then this was the place to keep our suspects," Lainey said, my eyes flicking to Bo who only stood, eyeing me carefully, "you are a criminal after all. This is where you belong."

With that, she stepped back, a pleased smile on her face. Oh, this was making her so fucking happy, wasn't it? Tears brewed in my eyes but I refused to let them fall. I swallowed them down, where anger flamed. I was weak and helpless and no one was coming to save me.