FORTY ONE

ꜱᴘᴏᴛɪꜰʏ ᴘʟᴀʏʟɪꜱᴛ ʟɪɴᴋᴇᴅ ɪɴ ʙɪᴏ

D R A C O

The sun had begun to rise and I realized I had spent the entire night watching Davina sleep on my chest. She barely moved all night, she was so deep in sleep. I didn't move either. I hadn't wanted to. She slept so peacefully and breathed softly. It felt like a crime to wake her.

I could not sleep, not after she told me about what her mum had forced her to do. It made me sick with anger. As the golden sun rays reached her pretty face and illuminated the freckles on her nose and cheeks, my hand twitched at her waist, still thinking about all those times she had to meet those men.

Evil, disgusting men. A part of me wanted to hunt every single one of them down and kill them nice and slow. I didn't want to know how long the list would be.

The sun on her face began to wake her, her eyes squinting as her body stretched. Then I watched as her eyes opened, her long lashes soft against my chest. Her eyes took in my room and she seemed to remember where she was but she barely moved. And then like she could sense my eyes on her, she looked up at me.

A beautiful smile appeared and she said, "Hey." her voice was a little dry from sleep.

"Morning," I replied, stocking her dark hair behind her ear.

"Did you sleep okay?" she asked me.

"Yes," I lied.

"That's good—sorry I didn't mean to sleep on you the entire night," Davina said as she pulled back from me.

No. My grip on her waist tightened and I pulled her to my chest. "No, you can sleep on me if you want to."

She smiled again. God, I loved it when she smiled.

"What time is it?" she asked.

"Time to get ready and go get breakfast," I replied but I could stay here all day with her.

"I don't want to go to lessons today," She complained, "I've had enough. Let's just skip breakfast and stay like this for a little while longer."

She had the same thought as I but then I remembered what she had told me and what she used to have to do just to eat. How hungry she was. And how she probably went days without eating.

"No," I said, "we will go to breakfast."

I sat up and she seemed to frown as she watched me stand.

"You don't want to lay here all morning with me?" she asked, confusion and sadness in her voice.

"Believe me, I do," I assured her, leaning down and kissing her lips, "But I want you to eat more."

Something softened her gaze and that confusion was still there. A sickening thought attacked my head, she most likely has never had someone care for her. After a soft nod of her head, I got ready and then walked her out of the boy's dormitory. I walked ahead and made sure no one saw her. I won't risk her getting caught and some little dickhead running straight to a professor and getting her sent to The Tower. Her hands don't need to be scarred anymore.

I told her I'd wait for her in the common room while she changed and got ready. She kissed my lips and then disappeared into the girl's hallway. I watched her until she was gone and then made my way to the common room, down the winding stairs and then to one of the leather sofas where I sat.

A few minutes passed and then Pansy and Theo walked down the stairs followed by Daphne and Blaise. They strolled into the common room like they owned the school and every item of furniture and painting on the wall. Their smug faces made it nearly impossible not to bring my knife out and have my fun with them.