TWENTY: The President Is Sick

Author's Note: Cussing. Profanities.

THE FOLLOWING days became hectic as fuck

As the Student Council President and a part-time waitress, I was trying to balance the two and failed to notice that I'd been overworking myself. I also had to do these tutorial sessions with that problematic punk, Baji Keisuke. Moreover, there was still an upcoming sports fest in our school that needed to be organized. With such a heavy workload on my hands, it would be no surprise if my body would soon burn out due to extreme fatigue.

Thus, I woke up one morning with a pounding headache and a sore body. The first rays of sunlight peeked into my bedroom through the slit between the curtain panels. I sluggishly outstretched my arm to turn off the annoying alarm clock blaring my ears before crawling out of my bed to go to the bathroom and wash my face. I shrieked at how terribly cold the water was and then took a peek at my reflection in front of the mirror. I looked so damn awful with these red cheeks and sunken eyes.

With heavy legs, I was struggling to go downstairs after changing into my school uniform like I was carrying a ball and chain shackling both of my ankles. Maybe consuming something warm could help ease this uncomfortable feeling I have right now and some instant ramen might do the trick.

Not long after, Mikey appeared at my doorstep to pick me up even though I told him time and time again that it was unnecessary. He was knitting his eyebrows as he took a good look at my flushed face. "You don't look so well, Y/N. Are you okay?"

I just shrugged off his concern. "I'm just feeling a bit under the weather, but I'm fine, Mikey. Let's just be on our way," I said with a hoarse voice, only for my frail body to accidentally stumble on him and my head to land on his shoulder.

Mikey was startled at my sudden fall and instinctively slithered his arms around my weak frame. "You're obviously not okay!" He gently placed his palm on my forehead and jerked his hand back in surprise. "You're hot, Y/N!"

"No, I'm not. It must be the ramen I ate earlier," I lied and removed his arms from me.

Mikey looked at me with a worried expression and frowned. "You should take a day's rest," he insisted. "I'll stay here with you."

"No need to do that. I really am fine, Mikey," I countered unwaveringly. Honestly speaking, I really wanted to remain at home and take some fucking rest. But I needed to go to school. I had to. For a top achiever such as myself, going to school was always an obligation. And it was something not everyone could simply understand. I also didn't want him to ditch school just to take care of his sick girlfriend. "I cannot miss school, you know that. Please, Mikey."

Mikey could only sigh in resignation, knowing my mulish attitude. I'm as stubborn as a mule. He can't cajole me into staying at home. "Alright. Let's go."

Clinging to his arm, he supported me to his motorbike and then drove off to school.

"Are you sure you are okay, Y/N?" Mikey asked again once he dropped me off near the school gate. It was still a bit early in the morning and not many students were seen passing by.