FORTY-ONE: Under The Midnight Winter

Author's Note: Cussing. Profanities. Fluff. Some spoilers from both the manga and the second season of the anime.

MIKEY

MIKEY

"HINA!!! I'M SORRY!!!"

"I'm a delinquent! I understand what your dad means! And I've gotten you into danger!"

"I swear I'll protect you, even if you were to die!"

"So, please! Forget that we ever broke up!"

Takemitchy was crying out loud as he sank to his knees right in front of Hina-chan and begged for her forgiveness. Meanwhile, the four of us, Emma, Ken-chin, Y/N, and I, were only acting as spectators on the sidelines while watching the two of them making up under the midnight snow.

I made a side glance at Y/N and discreetly observed her reaction. I wanted to know her train of thought. We hadn't talked to each other ever since we left the Church a few moments ago until we came here to the apartment complex. She chose to drive her moped to get here rather than riding with me using my motorbike. So, I had no other choice but to take Takemitchy with me instead who had finally woken up during the ride.

I instinctively returned my gaze to the scene just as she peered in my direction at the same time. She slipped her mittened hand with mine. When I tilted my head to look at her, it was her turn to avert her eyes away. But not without catching a glimpse of her burning cheeks. I smiled inwardly at my girlfriend's cute gesture and tightened the hold of our linked hands.

Emma was crying happily for Hina-chan as she and Takemitchy reconciled and were back together as a couple. While Ken-chin, on the other side, talked about Takemitchy's great resemblance to my older brother, Shinichiro. He and I had the same thoughts.

Weak to women. Weak in fighting. It was as if they were both cut from the same cloth.

I walked over to Takemitchy and asked him to take a ride together with me for a moment, leaving Y/N momentarily with Ken-chin and the girls.

The two of us shared a small talk throughout the ride mostly about my family until the topic went to Shinichiro. I told him about how Emma and I used to follow our older brother everywhere when we were little and taught us many things. Even though the three of us were raised by our grandfather, Shinichiro stood as our father figure. I was so accustomed to having my brother around before that I relied on him most of the time. Now he was no longer among the living, I sometimes felt at a loss without him as my pillar of support.

"I failed to understand what it means. At times like that, my mind goes blank. I completely lose my way in the world and lose sight of the difference between right and wrong."

There was an obscured darkness that was chained to my inner soul and I'm afraid I might not be able to control these urges by my own free will in the long run. It was a dark burden that I couldn't share with just anyone. Not even to my girlfriend, Y/N. If things went astray and beyond my control, I had no choice but to abandon everything.