TWENTY-FOUR: Valhalla

Author's Note: Cussing. Profanities. Violence.

"KAZUTORA MURDERED Mikey's older brother

"KAZUTORA MURDERED Mikey's older brother."

I couldn't sleep well that night.

Baji's dark revelation kept me wide awake until dawn.

Mikey did mention before that his brother was murdered at his own shop due to burglary. But I haven't had the faintest idea Hanemiya was involved in that tragic incident and that he was in fact the main culprit. How could he commit such a crime? Was that why he couldn't tell us the reason he was sent to juvenile detention? Because he killed someone? I was right to be cautious around him. I knew there was something unusual about him.

Apparently, Baji also said he had close ties with Hanemiya. Did Mikey know of Baji's friendship with his brother's murderer? I could see loopholes in this matter and failed to connect the dots as something was still amiss.

But what was it?

Maybe I should just ignore Baji's warning and tell my boyfriend about Hanemiya's existence before asking him about his connection with the guy. Yet if I did, wouldn't that be considered like I'm meddling with their private affairs? Should I dare not to?

Fortunately, Hanemiya did not come to school today. After learning the truth about his confinement in the detention facility, it would be difficult for me to face someone like him who was related to my boyfriend's dark past.

As I was plummeting deeper into my own thoughts, I didn't notice that our teacher in Mathematics had been calling my name repeatedly until Keiko kicked my chair, almost knocking me off balance if it weren't for my fast reflexes to steady the chair.

I shot up to my seat and felt all eyes were fixated on me. "Y-yes, sensei!"

Sensei drew his eyebrows into a frown as he narrowed his eyes at me. "What happened to you, Amamiya-san? You are one of my best students. It's rare to see you not paying attention in my class. If you are not feeling well, just tell me ahead of time and go to the infirmary."

"I'm sorry, sensei. It won't happen again," I only said, bowing my head slightly in apology.

Sensei waved his hand at me dismissively. "It's fine. Just take your seat and listen to the lecture."

Without showing much of an expression, I could only thank our teacher in gratitude and went back to my seat, exhaling a deep sigh. I was fortunate enough that he didn't kick me out of the classroom.

Keiko pushed her chair a little closer to mine. "What's wrong with you today, Y/N? You've been spacing out since the start of the class. Are you not feeling well again?" she whispered, voicing her concern.

"I'm alright, Keiko. It's probably just a lack of sleep," I briefly replied, brushing off her worries. I opened my textbook and flipped through the lecture's current page. Keiko also did the same and didn't attempt to push things further until the end of our class.