You have nothing to be ashamed of

Jesper sat alone in his room, staring at his hands in shame. He'd always known he was different, that there was something about him that set him apart from others. But it wasn't until recently that he'd come to understand what that something was.

He was Grisha.

The realisation had hit him hard, and it had taken him a while to come to terms with it. But even now, he felt a deep sense of shame whenever he thought about it.

As he sat there lost in thought, he heard a soft knock on the door. It was Wylan. He entered the room and sat down next to Jesper on the bed.

"Hey," he said softly. "You okay?"

Jesper shrugged, not really wanting to talk about it.

Wylan didn't push. He just sat there in silence for a moment, giving Jesper time to gather his thoughts.

"It's okay," he finally said. "You don't have to be ashamed of who you are."

Jesper looked up at Wylan, confused. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, you're Grisha. So what? That doesn't change who you are. You're still the same person I've always known and cared about."

Jesper nodded slowly, taking in Wylan's words.

"I know it's hard," Wylan continued. "But you can't let it define you. You're more than just your Grisha powers."

Jesper smiled faintly. "Thanks, Wylan. I needed to hear that."

They sat in silence for a few more minutes, Wylan's hand resting gently on Jesper's back.

Finally, Jesper looked up at Wylan with a newfound sense of hope. "You're right," he said. "I can't let this hold me back. I have to own who I am, Grisha and all."

Wylan grinned. "That's the spirit," he said. "And don't worry. I'll always be here to support you, no matter what."

Jesper's heart swelled with gratitude as he wrapped his arm around Wylan's shoulders. He knew that with Wylan by his side, he could face anything – even the stigma that came with being a Grisha.

Jesper leaned into Wylan, feeling comforted by his words, but that sense of comfort was short-lived. As Wylan pulled back from the embrace, Jesper saw a hurt, wounded look in Wylan's eyes.

"What's wrong?" Wylan asked.

Jesper hesitated. He knew what had to be done, but it still hurt to say the words out loud.

"I can't do this anymore," Jesper said, his voice barely above a whisper.

Wylan looked at him, confusion etched on his face. "What do you mean?"

"I mean the two of us," Jesper explained. "I can't be with you anymore."

Wylan's expression quickly turned to one of hurt, then anger. He got up from the bed and began pacing the small room.

"You can't just say that," Wylan snapped. "After all we've been through..."

Jesper hung his head, feeling guilty, but he knew it had to be done. "I'm sorry," he said. "But you don't understand. Being Grisha...I can't be with you. It's not safe for you."

Wylan shook his head, his eyes stinging with tears. "You can't protect me forever, Jesper. I know the risks. But that doesn't mean we can't be together."

Jesper stood up, his heart aching. "I'm sorry," he said again. "I just can't do it anymore. I don't want to put you in danger."

Wylan's eyes filled with tears as he looked at Jesper. "You're not putting me in danger," he said. "I want to be with you, Jesper. Grisha or not. Can't you see that?"