Chapter 34: DEADLOCK

*Ding dong, bing bong*

Monokuma: "Ahem! Hope's Peak Academy's school trip executive committee has an announcement to make. Good morning, everyone! Looks like today is going to be another perfect, tropical day! Now then, let's show some enthusiasm and make sure to give it our all today!"

After Monokuma made his morning announcement, Hajime woke up and did the usual morning routine. He decided to have a shower and possibly wash off any trace of the Despair Disease, he still wasn't sure if it was airborne, and it never hurts to be a little cautious, especially when it comes to being safe from a disease like this. After his shower, Hajime knew what was planned for him during the day, go to the hospital and make sure Mikan is okay after she spent the night there with the three infected students.

Hajime left his cottage and began walking towards the hospital on the Third Island. He wasn't sure if Fuyuhiko had already left his own cottage and headed to the hospital, but he didn't see a point in checking his cottage, he'll see Fuyuhiko at the hospital anyway. Walking past the ranch and onto the bridge that led to the Central Island, Hajime couldn't help but notice the lack of people he encountered since waking up. It's a sad reality when your friends are either isolating themselves from the infected or trying to keep the disease from spreading. Chiaki did say that she and the others at the motel will try and find a way to cure the Despair Disease, but Hajime couldn't completely depend on that.

As he arrived on the Central Island, Hajime took a quick glance at the device that resembled a bomb that still stood where the bronze statue once stood, still wondering what its purpose was. After he crossed the bridge leading to the Third Island, Hajime finally arrived at the hospital, and wasted no time in opening the door to the lobby.

Fuyuhiko: "Yo, you came early today."

Hajime: "You're the one who's early." If Hajime got here a few minutes after Monokuma's morning announcement, Fuyuhiko's early arrival must mean that he woke up a little before the announcement.

Fuyuhiko: "Well, I just got here... so what should we do? There's still a little time before we need to make contact. Wanna go to Nagito's room and check up on him?"

Hajime: "Yeah... I'm worried about how he's doing." Worrying about Nagito, I guess there's always a first time for everything. Hajime and Fuyuhiko opened the door to the hallway and went straight to Nagito's patient room. Nagito was in room two, Akane was in room three, and Ibuki was in room one. When they entered the second patient room, they could see Nagito still in his bed, and Mikan sitting close by.

Mikan: "..."

Hajime: "Mikan, how's Nagito doing?"

Mikan: "Same as usual... no, he might be worse than yesterday."

Fuyuhiko: "Tch, seriously?"

Mikan: "His pulse is extremely weak... he might... slip into critical condition sometime today."

Hajime: "I-Is he... that sick?"

Mikan: "But... as long as I'm his nurse... I will never let Nagito die... ever."

Hajime: "I do understand how you feel, but... don't overexert yourself, okay?"

Mikan: "..."

Fuyuhiko: "Hajime, it's almost time to start the connection. We need to head over to the lobby."

Hajime: "Yeah, got it." After being reminded of how powerless they were, Hajime and Fuyuhiko left Nagito's patient room. When they got back to the lobby, they could see the surveillance camera and monitor's blue light was blinking.