Chapter Seventy-Five: Truly Excessive

Charles' PoV:

She opens the door, then she slowly gets in - Y/n hasn't looked at you, or spoken to you, in a couple of days now, so her saying something feels like a victory:

y/n dryly: Hi.

You stare at her, while she's got her eyes fixated on something in front of the car.

Charles: Hey.

The engine roars up, as you leave the hotel's driveway, exiting onto the street.

Charles: So, how are you?

y/n dryly: Fine, you?

Surprise floods your system - Hey, at least she asked you back. Progress is progress, right?

Charles happily: I'm okay, I'm okay. Are you nervous about the appointment?

She glances at you shortly.

y/n: No.

Charles: Okay... Uhm... Good, cause there's nothing to be nervous about.

Why did that sound so fucking stupid? Of course she knows that already. The traffic lights turn red; You come to a halt.

Charles: I got you a croissant, in case you haven't eaten yet-

Your hand locates the paper bag that you put into the door's pocket. You pull it out, handing it to her, before turning right when the light changes to green.

She just holds onto it.

Charles: Did you eat?

y/n dryly: Nope.

Charles: Then eat.

y/n sighs: I'm good.

Charles irritated: Please, c'mon, don't be like this.

She doesn't respond. You know you can't expect a cheerful attitude after you hurt Pierre, and after the way you yelled at her and treated her, but it hurts nonetheless. You mean well: You meant well with the appointment, you meant well with picking her up and you meant well with the croissant. You're simply doing your best here.

At least she showed up. You were kind of afraid that she wouldn't. Better than nothing.

The building with the office is at the end of the street; You find a spot to park in and get out of the car together. Y/n silently follows you down the street, into the building and to the reception.

Charles: Hey, good morning!

Receptionist: Morning, what can I do for you?

Charles: We have an appointment for y/n Leclerc for 08:40.

Receptionist: Wonderful - I need your medical insurance card, please.

Y/n hands it to her.

Receptionist: Amazing. We are all set - Take a seat in the waiting room, you will be called up any minute now.

She heads into the waiting room, and you follow her. Except for an older lady, it's just the two of you there.

y/n sighs: You didn't have to come here with me.

Charles shrugs: I don't mind.

You have the feeling that she will say something along the lines of "But I do mind" or "It's unnecessary", but yet again, you don't get a response. The receptionist was right, it doesn't take long; A young woman in scrubs, with long black hair, who couldn't be much older than y/n, comes into the waiting room to get her.

y/n's PoV:

09:08

You get dressed again, and join her at her desk. The smell of disinfectant hangs in the air, as she swishes it around in her hands.

Doctor: Alright then... All the tests are done, while we wait, do you have any other questions or concerns?

They got a sample of urine for the pregnancy test, and they took some blood and did some swabs for the STD tests that Charles demanded; The results for the pregnancy test should come in before you leave the office, while the STD tests take a couple of hours, if not a couple of days, to process. You feel fine though in both regards, so why should you even worry about the results?

y/n: Uhm not really...

Doctor: Alright... Stress? Diet? How's that been?

y/n nods: Fine... I'm a bit stressed I guess, uhm, but it's fine, and I eat fine. All good.

She stares into your soul as you say the word "fine" a second time around.

Doctor: Mhmm, alright. Drinking? Smoking? How's that?

y/n chuckles: I don't smoke.

Doctor: Do you drink?

y/n: A little every now and then, but not frequently.

Doctor: Uh-huh.

She takes notes in your file. There's a knock on the door, and the woman who brought you into the room, brings back a piece of paper. She hands it to the Doctor.

Doctor: Thank you Elanora-

She nods, gives you a kind smile and leaves again.

Doctor: Okay then, the pregnancy test results are here-

She turns around the paper, sliding it across towards you, pointing out the result. You stare at it.

RESULT OF PREGNANCY TEST: negative.

Doctor: Was this the result you were hoping for?

You simply nod, as you wonder what you would've done if you were actually pregnant with Pierre's baby. A future with him really doesn't seem so bad... Except for all the external factors.

y/n reiterates: Yeah, I wanted it to be negative.

She informs you that this is your copy of the pregnancy test results, and that you can take it home with you. You will be sent your STD results via email, meaning Charles must have filled out the paperwork for you, before you got here. She runs through a few more standard questions, before she shakes your hand and wishes you a nice day. You return to the waiting room to get Charles.

He jumps up when he sees you, and the two of you leave in silence. Once you're out of the building, he nudges you eagerly.

Charles: So?

y/n: So?

Charles: What did the Doctor say?

y/n shrugs: I'm not pregnant, and we're still waiting for the other results.

You swear to God, you've never seen anyone look this excited; He sighs loudly in relief, thanks God, and then he smiles brightly.

His reaction is truly excessive.