40 ◉ She's Not Here

Clara felt a heavy weight settle in her chest, her breath catching as Lydia's sudden statement hung in the air. What did she mean by that? It certainly didn't sound promising. Stiles, his voice filled with worry, spoke up before Clara could find the courage to ask.

"What about that number?" he questioned, his face betraying his growing concern.

Lydia's response sent a chill down everyone's spines. Her words carried a solemn gravity.

"That woman said it represented the number of people who have taken their own lives in this motel..."

Time seemed to freeze as those words sank in. The room fell into a silence so thick, it was suffocating. The realization hit them like a tidal wave, their hearts heavy with the implications. There was a possibility that Y/N... Clara couldn't hold back her tears any longer. Stiles, his complexion drained, looked as pale as a ghost. It couldn't be true...

"Okay, okay, we need to calm down," Clara said, trying to steady her voice as she rubbed her nose bridge. "I think we can find her more easily if we use some magical tools. Can one of you guys bring Y/N's bag to me?" She knew she couldn't risk going herself since the receptionist was still looking for her.

"Stiles, can you please bring us the bag?" Allison asked.

"What?! In a room full of werewolves, am I the best choice for getting something from a room that's probably being watched by a psychopath witch?!" Stiles protested.

"You saw what happened to the werewolves when we left them alone in here," Lydia stated, understanding the risk but also knowing they couldn't afford to draw too much attention.

Stiles sighed with a troubled expression, knowing there was no better choice either. Plus, he wanted to save Y/N as soon as possible, hoping she was still alive. "Okay, I'll go, but don't leave my corpse here if I die tragically, okay?" he said with a nervous laugh.

Stiles walked anxiously through the empty corridors of the motel, wondering where everyone had gone. As he approached the room where Y/N and Clara were staying, the slightly open door made his heart race even faster. He looked around, grabbing the first object he could use as a makeshift weapon, but to his surprise, the room was empty.

The sight of Y/N's bag on the chair, right beside her hoodie, tugged at his heartstrings. Her belongings were here, but she wasn't. Where could she be? What had happened to someone they had seen just a few hours ago? Stiles found himself questioning the path their lives had taken, wondering if they would have been happier as ordinary high school students.

His thoughts were interrupted when he heard the door creaking behind him. Panic surged through him. The evil witch must be here! What fate awaited him? Would he be mercilessly murdered too, or would he suffer the same fate as Y/N? But where was she? Stiles stood there, nervously accepting his inevitable end.

"Stilinski, what the hell do you think you're doing here?!"

A familiar voice broke the tension, and Stiles turned around, relieved. He mumbled something about how much he loved the coach, but his relief didn't last long as he saw the receptionist standing right beside the coach.

"Stilinski, what on earth are you doing in the girls' room? This is a serious violation of privacy!" Said coach, crossing his arms.

"Coach, it's not what it looks like! I swear! I was just... uh... looking for my inhaler! Yeah, I must've left it here earlier." He was just hoping he doesn't realize that Stiles doesn't use one.

Coach stood there for a moment to remember whether or not he had asthma. Then there was that vivid memory of someone taking an inhaler in Stiles' freshmen year. It was either him or Scott but since Stiles is searching for it now...