48 ◉ Guardians Of The Night

As the evening sun began to dip below the horizon, you moved around your room, packing your bag with the essentials you would need for the night ahead. The weight of your responsibilities settled on your shoulders.

As you zipped up your bag, your phone buzzed, and you saw Clara's name on the screen. You quickly answered, eager to catch up before heading out.

"Hey, Clara! I was just getting ready to head to Scott's," you greeted her.

"Hey, Y/N! Quick update - my cousin Kaan is here, and we're having a blast catching up. But don't worry, I'll make sure he doesn't burn the house down," Clara said, her voice lighthearted.

You chuckled, glad to hear that Clara was in good spirits. "Sounds like you're having fun. I'll see you soon, okay?"

"Definitely. Be safe, Y/N."

After hanging up, you shouldered your bag and headed downstairs. Just as you were about to make your way out the front door, your father's voice stopped you in your tracks.

"Leaving already?"

You turned to find your father looking at you with a mixture of curiosity and concern. "Yeah, Dad. I promised Scott I'd help him out tonight."

Your father's gaze softened. "You know, I'll come with you. No matter what."

You blinked in surprise, taken aback by your father's offer. "Wait, why? You don't have to do that."

His eyes met yours, a hint of protectiveness in his gaze. "I may not always understand the world you're caught up in, but I won't let you face whatever dangers are out there alone. Besides, I won't be comfortable with you staying overnight at a guy's house, even if Clara is there."

You sighed. "Dad, it's not like that. Scott is my friend, and we're just trying to keep her mom safe. Plus, Clara will be there too."

Your father's resolve remained unwavering. "I know you and Clara are close, but I have to do what I think is best. Let's go."

You soften, realizing that your father's concern was driven by love and a desire to protect you. With a resigned smile, you nodded. "Alright, let's go then."

●●●

Melissa's expression shifted from surprise to a warm smile as she opened the door and saw you, accompanied by a police officer, who happened to be your father.

"Y/N, it's so good to see you. And Officer Takashi, what brings you here?"

Your father nodded politely, his professional face in place. "Good evening, Mrs. McCall. We're here to ensure your safety for the night. Y/N and I thought it best to provide an extra layer of protection."

Melissa's eyes flickered with a mix of gratitude and confusion. "Well, I certainly appreciate the concern. Please, come in."

You and your father stepped inside, the atmosphere a mix of warmth and a touch of awkwardness. As you entered the living room, you exchanged a quick glance with Scott, who was caught off guard by the unexpected visitors.

"Hey, Scott," you greeted him with a small wave.

Scott managed a smile. "Hey, Y/N. Uh, surprise?"

Melissa's stern but loving gaze fell on her son, her voice a low, playful admonishment. "Scott, a little heads-up about visitors would've been nice."
Scott shifted on his feet, his cheeks reddening slightly. "Sorry, Mom. It was kind of a last-minute thing."

Melissa's eyes softened as she turned her attention back to you and your father. "Well, regardless, you're both welcome here. Thank you for looking out for us."