41 ◉ Batman Is Back

You found yourself drifting in and out of consciousness. Even though the woman's torment had stopped a while ago, the lingering pain and trauma continued to inflict unbearable suffering. In the midst of this, a notion entered your mind: perhaps death wasn't as dreadful as it seemed. Maybe death held the promise of an escape from all the troubles you faced, much like people discarding broken phones rather than fixing them. Perhaps, in your current state, you shouldn't exert yourself too much either.

'Do you seriously believe that?'

A voice within your mind interrupted, prompting tears to stream down your face uncontrollably. But deep down, you knew that you didn't truly believe that death was the answer. It was the last thing you desired. Your thoughts were filled with dreams of reuniting with your family, spending time with friends, and embracing the new life you had recently embarked upon.

Amidst these thoughts, an image of Derek materialized. You remembered his playful grin, his infectious laughter, and the way he teased you relentlessly. Every memory of your shared moments intensified your emotions, causing your tears to flow even more freely.

But then the painful realization struck: Derek was gone, forever. His grumpy smile, the way he had a knack for making even the dullest jokes funny - all of it was lost to the past. Even if you managed to emerge from this torment safely, you knew that you'd never experience those moments with him again. He was beyond your reach now.

At that moment, the idea of death being a safe heaven came back to mind. After all, if you were to pass on, wouldn't you be able to reunite with Derek? The idea of being with him again provided a glimmer of comfort, among the overwhelming despair that had enveloped you.

Then, a warm presence suddenly filled the room. Your heart skipped a beat as you recognized the figure of Stiles. Despite the pain and fear that had captured you, a surge of comfort washed over you at the sight of him. His worried eyes met yours, concern shown deeply on his face.

"Hey, I found you," he said softly, his voice a mixture of relief and urgency. He carefully moved closer, as if afraid that any sudden movement might worsen your condition.

"Are you alright? Are you hurt?"

Summoning all your strength, you managed a weak smile. "Stiles," you whispered, your voice barely audible. "I didn't think you'd be able to find me."

A soft smile played on his lips, a mixture of fondness and determination in his gaze.

"After everything I've faced, I know that evil people have a thing for basements," he replied, his tone light but with a hint of worry underlying his words. "I had to find you."

Tears welled up in your eyes, not just from the pain but from the overwhelming emotion of seeing him there with you.

"I'm so glad you did," you confessed, your voice trembling with a mixture of vulnerability and affection.